my cat started licking my eye lide and i stop it but the next few days i notice that my upper eye left and right eye are both swollon what should i do

Sounds like your are one of those few people who are allergic to cats. 

Cat allergies can usually be controlled with standard allergy drugs. Your doctor might recommend:

• Antihistamines, which are available over-the-counter -- like Claritin, Allegra, Benadryl, or Zyrtec. Some antihistamines come as nasal sprays -- for instance, Astelin.
  • Decongestants, like over-the-counter Sudafed or Allegra-D.
  • Prescription steroids -- like Flonase or Nasonex sprays -- are a common treatment for allergies.

Allergy shots are another option. Allergy shots are not always effective, and completing treatment can take years. They're also not safe for children under 5. But they can be a huge help to some people. Ask your doctor if they make sense for you.

Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent an allergy. Some studies have shown that exposure to pets as a young child seems to reduce the risk of developing pet allergies later. On the other hand, a child who already has allergic tendencies may get worse with exposure to a pet.

Hi Guest,

It may be an allergy, then again it might not be. Cats can/do carry organisms that can harm human. You may have heard of cat scratch disease? It's a bacteria and can cause infections.

I strongly suggest you see your doctor and tell them exactly what happened.

It may be nothing but it can also get much, much, worse.

Well while you're at it why don't you go ahead and throw in Toxoplasmosis as well. The chances are just about as likely and the symptoms are about as remote as those for cat scratch fever.

I know you just want to cover the bases, but why bring in a most unlikely possibility and cause unnecessary anxiety?

Because quite simply you can't just rule them out. Swollen eyelids alone do not an allergy make. Assuming they've had the cat for a while they should have had allergy symptoms a long time ago.

It's gone on for "a few days" already. How much longer should they wait to see their doctor?

How about until she starts showing definitive symptoms of the alleged problem? In the mean time, treat the symptoms, which are of an allergy.

The symptoms fit for an infection.

I don't see anything about sneezing, coughing, rashes, hives, stuffy/runny nose, or other typical symptoms of an allergy.

The cat licked near her eyes, a mucous membrane. It's a great way to introduce an infection into the body.

Neither of us can't tell what's happening over the internet. Err on the side of caution.

Nor does she indicate any symptoms of cat scratch fever: chills, vomiting, fever, nausea, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes (the PRIMARY symptom).

Symptoms don't appear for 1 to 2 weeks, sometimes longer, and usually subside without intervention, requiring no treatment.

You're being an alarmist, and it is not in the subjects best interest.

No where do I say it is cat scratch fever, I asked if they heard of it. It was meant to be as an example. I merely point out that cats can/do carry organisms that can be harmful - true.

Your answer was NOT in the subjects best interest. Since symptoms had persisted for several days they need to see a doctor - period.

An alarmist? Maybe. Better to err on the side of caution than to brush something off.

If they have a cat they should have had allergy symptoms a long time ago.

So now a few days has turned into several.
FYI, allergies can turn up at any time. It often takes time for the allergic condition to develop.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

To the OP:

Please see your doctor.  It may be an infection or it may be an allergy.  The point is, we can't tell.

Good luck.