My wife has migraine since I know her, but lately it seems to become worst. There is presence of visual disturbances and sensation of halos or flickering lights. This made her ask for help so her doctor prescribed her Imitrex. Since she has never used this medicine before, she feels a little bit scared and unsure. Can you tell me more about this drug, and something about Imitrex’s side effects?

Imitrex should be used only to treat an acute, classic migraine attack or a cluster headache, and not be used for certain unusual types of migraine. Imitrex should be taken as soon as your symptoms appear, but may be used at any time during her attack. It is available in three forms: as injection, tablets, and nasal spray. Imitrex injection is administered just below the skin with an autoinjector. Tablets should be swallowed whole, with liquid. If you have had no relief 2 hours after taking Imitrex Tablets, you may take a second dose of up to 100 milligrams, only if your doctor advises it. If the headache returns, you may take additional doses at intervals of at least 2 hours, but you should not take more than 300 milligrams in one day. Side effects cannot be anticipated, so if any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Imitrex or not.