Hi! My family has a huge problem. My sister is sleepwalkewer. We removed all weapons in the house on secure place; also we have alarm doors to alert us abut nighttime activity. But I must say that she is violent during sleepwalking. Can she use some drug like clonazepam?

Hi! I am also sleepwalker. But I am not violent during nighttime activity. When sleepwalkers exhibit violent behaviors drug therapy is indicated, with benzodiazepines such as Klonopin (clonazepam) or tricyclic antidepressants such as Elavil (amitriptyline) being the drugs of choice. Sleepwalkers should never be locked in rooms or tied to beds, practices that some parents and partners of sleepwalkers have tried over the years. But, you must consult with a doctor about Clonazepam.

I have been sleepwalking for most of my 45 year life. I even woke up once while backing my car out of the garage. I've had a couple of violet episodes with my wife. I've done two sleep studies where the doctors can see my brain wave activity while having an episode. I apprently never get into REM sleep and stay at the first level which is why I rarely get good rest and sleep walk. The doctors tried to put me on Klonopin, but it never worked either and they gave up telling me it was one of those things I was going to have to live with.

If anyone has any new information or knows of any research program please take the time to register and respond or e mail me directly at

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I didn't start sleepwalking UNTIL I started taking Klonopin and Celexa for anxiety. So, not sure if I would recommend these drugs for sleepwalkers.

I am a 21 year old male and have been sleepwalking all my life. My sleep doctor put me on Cconazepam and it has worked wonders. I have only sleep walked once or twice in the 6 months since I've been on it, instead of the 3-4 times a week without.

I was prescribed clonazepam for anxiety, but if i take it at night it causes me to sleepwalk.

I have a friend that says she took 1 clonazepam for her shakes or something.anxiety. then went to sleep while leaving a pot with baby's bottles in the pot. but it wasnt on. she went to sleep. and woke up to her alarm to express her milk. this is in the daytime.

and the house had smoke all through. so she called the fire birgade. She said she never put the stove on.
It can be hard to believe her as she also has a personality disorder but this time I am believing her. it seems sincere whenshe states that she is sure she didnt put the stove on.

so does clonazepam obviously make you sleep and is it possible she sleeped walked and turned the stove on?
I will have to ask tho how hot was the stove?
Really need an answer to this as it is crucial.

Clonazapam has done wonders for me to avoid nightmares. I used to wake up in the car blocks from my home or outside my house panting from the dreams. I even had surgery from a fall while I was asleep. I take a very small dose every night and it has virtually stopped the sleep walking completely.

Klonopin and Xanax make you black out very easily. It's very possible she turned the stove on in a conscious state and just doesn't remember. I stopped taking those drugs after I realized I was spending hours doing things and having no recollection.

I am 44 years old this year and for 43 years to this day I was a chronic sleep walker sleep walking 3 to 4 times a week. I punched a 50cm by 100cm in my wall about 40 times before I woke up my nuckles were cut to the bone, I then went and sought help and clonazepam was offered to me. Since taking this miracle drug I have slept walk maybe twice in 1 year as opposed to 4 times a week... walking in odd places the bathroom, back yard in my bedroom and wondering where the hell am I.... clonazepam has changed my life no more worrying am I going to bash my partner in my sleep when she stays over, am I going to have a terror attack and bash the sh*t out of a wall.. this drug has trully helped me and I would never go to bed with out taking it prior. regards Giuseppe

My husband was a sleepwalker in his youth. Been together for 17 years & the only time he has done it was after taking Xanax. We're lucky he didn't burn the house down while trying to make soup.

I have been a sleep walker my whole life (now 33) and started taking Clonazepam over about 2 years ago. It has been amazing. I don't sleep walk while I am on the medicine. If I let it run out it gets bad. I don't make it out of the bedroom, but I am up walking around the bedroom acting out dreams until I can convince my self it isn't real and wake myself up. This medicine has done wonders for me and now, because I sleep better, my migraines are under control as well.