My sister called me just now. We don't live in the same country so occasionally we talk on the skype. She told me that she is having problems with her sleep lately because she caught her husband while he was sleepwalking. This is not the first time, she told me that this happens for more than two months now, constantly and every single night.

She was reading a lot about it and she told me that she believes that sleepwalking is connected to anxiety or depression.

Is this true?

What can cause sleepwalking in the first place?

Do you know anything about this? 

Good day!
Sleepwalking can definitely be linked to some serious mental issue. It is a potentially serious condition which can lead to violent behaviors and affect health - related quality of life, and because of this it can definitely lead to the depression. It is a disorder and it can happen to everyone - kids or adult people. So I think that you sister should react about this very soon because if she just let this thing to go like she was doing now, she can have extremely problems with her husband.
I don't know what can cause it, but I do know that it can be dangerous because during the sleepwalk your brain is half awake.

Really?!?!

This can be that serious? I didn't even know that! Sleepwalking was something that was nice and sometimes funny for me. I remember that, when I was a kid, some girl was sleepwalking while we were at the excursion, and I didn't know that this can be such a huge problem :/

Now, I am worried about my sister because, I need to tell you this, her husband has a very bad temper and he had problems because of it. She had problems because of his temper as well. 

What to do about this?

What can cause it?

Please, let me know.

I didn't know that this can be that dangerous as well while I was younger, but now I am aware that this can be a huge problem to anyone. Your sister needs to react, especially because you mentioned that her husband has bad temper, which generally means that she is violent.

And when you combine violence and sleepwalking, it can't turn out good.

The main causes of the sleepwalking are:

- stress,

- alcohol or when you are drunk,

- if he is taking some medications as well and because of them he can't sleep.

Also, there are some medical conditions that can cause it, but to find out what they can be, he needs to go and visit his doctor. 

I don't think that it is necessarily linked to anxiety or depression. I used to sleepwalk when I was a kid but I didn't have any mental problem, nobody knew why was I sleepwalking. It all stopped once we moved to another house and even today nobody knows why it happened.

So it can be linked, if the person is suffering from anxiety or depression and is sleepwalking, then it probably is caused by his anxiety and depression. However, if this isn't the case, then something else is causing this person to sleepwalk. I don't know which other things could cause this.

I don't know if there is any connection here, but I used to sleepwalk, so did my father, and so did his father, my granddad. My mum's uncle also sleepwalks even today. It can be kind of inherited I think, but I am not quite sure to be honest.

It is linked to anxiety and depression, but these things are quite rare. And they are not dangerous, I heard about people who sleepwalk on the very edges of buildings and stuff, but they never fall down, the main thing is not to awake anyone when they are sleepwalking and everything is going to be okay.

I've read about this some time ago. There have been some studies done about this and they all showed that people with depression and anxiety are more likely to be sleepwalking than those who are not suffering from any similar conditions.

Sleepwalking by itself is a disorder. What causes it is unknown, but it is known (because of several studies done) that the people who are sleepwalking are mostly people who are suffering from depression and anxiety. It messes up with their non-REM sleep and that is what makes these people sleepwalk. It is unknown what makes other people sleepwalk, though.

Yes, it is. Studies show that most of the people who are sleepwalking are actually suffering from depression or anxiety, just like people above me already wrote. I find sleepwalking fascinating, to be honest. We have legends here regarding this, there was this man in the north of my country who was said to be sleepwalking (he was suffering from depression as well) and he would climb trees horizontally while sleepwalking. It is just kind of a legend, but there are people who actually say that they saw him do that.

I don't know, anyway, it appears to be connected somehow.