SirGan, thanks for publishing this article. I have a friend currently in an induced coma and undergoing aggressive treatment after collapsing with sepsis. She is a nurse and patient contact probably caused this state. I appreciated your article and the comments of the guests. She is past the first 72 hours but remains on ventilator and dialysis.
Thanks again for the article.

New Member
Users comments and reviews on article The outcomes of Septic shock by SirGan

I can honestly I can not think of a more brutal way to go or get sick its basically rotting from the inside out. YIKES!!!

My mom is battling septic shock after developing streptococcus pneumonia post gallbladder surgery. People, especially the medical profession, need to be aware of the signs so that can move faster on getting treatment for this.

I agree that the medical professionals need to know more about what to look for. They also should me doing tests when a patient mentions more than once about a infection. My father had a problem with his leg and went to the urgent care and they diagonosised him with cellulitus and gave him a antibiotic. When he had a reaction to the antibiotic and went to the er they said he didn't have a infection that it was a hematoma from his blood being to thin. They fixed his blood by giving a couple of transfussions and frozen plasma. Took him of antibiotics. Got blood back to what it was supposed to be and sent him home. Now two weeks later he was found on the floor and in sepsis shock. They had to put him on vent and his kidneys are still not up to what they need and he may need dialysis. Not to happy with the medical professionals that dealt with my dad!!!

Dear Sir
The subject of septic shock was the concern of about all medical specialties but after the great advances in the practice of intensive care medicine and ICUs which are usually controlled by anaesthesiologists the subject being of great importance to the anaesthesiologist and concerning him so he must give a great interest to sepsis and septic shock to enable him to help the patients. Are you agree with me.
thank you very much.
Dr. Fadhil K Zwer
anaesthesiologist
Baghdad - Iraq

I am the "guest" that posted here on 10/14/09. I forgot that I had posted here until I did a search a few minutes ago and this site came back up.

Sadly, my mom lost her battle with sepsis two weeks after the diagnosis. She appeared to be improving and was even removed from the ventilator and had started rehab when she suddenly went into respiratory failure a few nights later. We chose not to put her back on the vent because she was completely unresponsive and she was gone in a manner of a few hours.

Sometimes, I am still so angry when I think about this. We didn't know the signs. Her surgeon didn't recognize the signs when we brought her back to the hospital just 36 hours after her surgery. They were testing her for strokes, heart attacks, back reactions to the pain medicine. . all kinds of problems. . . they kept missing the sepsis.