This post is an extension of the

Constant smell of ammonia in the nose thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Like many of you, I have googled my problem. I don't smell exhaust or amonia, but my nose smell is very similar to Krazy Glue (ethyl cyanoacrylate). It too bothers me all the time. I don't seem to have any sinus infection symptom. I wish that someone could just tell me a simple solution to this as it is really driving me crazy.

I've had this sensation that people here have been describing off and on for about a year now ... the smell of something acrid in my nose, slightly ammonia-ish, but really more like walking into a room where many people are smoking; indeed, I thought the people in the apartment next door had taken up smoking. What I've found though, is that it's sometimes (thought not always) accompanied by an almost constantly-running nose and intense bouts of sneezing. I've had to leave work twice this past year because the runny nose/sneezing were so out of control. I'm 45 and I've never had allergies before, but these definitely feel like allergy symptoms. I wonder if i've got some kind of fungal infection that's causing all of this ...

I have experienced the same situation since the last week. A slight Ammonia smell when I exhale (only) through the nose.
As it happens when I exhale only I guess it's not a neurologic issue which I was the most frightened of. (if someone can confirm my thought that would be cool)
The reason can be that I have had a kind of stomach problem 10 days ago, a bug or a virus probably. I have as well some sinus issues (polyps, chronic infection..) as I have cystic fibrosis. I have as well been transplanted the two lungs and this stomach issues drove my imunosuppresors levels to very high values. This has probably helped my chronic sinus problems develop into a proper infection (though I don't see much difference).. My kidney function has never been "normal" but has not worsen recently..
I am not too worried for now but would like to evacuate the problem of potential brain tumor.

Yes I smell exhaust fumes constantly or burning plastic. Is there anyone out these that has some ideas on what the problem is???

I had this problem over a year ago, I remember having the flu or some sort of similar virus and for a week or two I could not stand the smell or taste of any kind of sauce as I always got the smell of ammonia from it. It cleared up on its own and I just thought I was a bit weird.

However over the last few days I have had flu like symptoms again, my wife and both my kids have it too. Today I started getting this smell of ammonia from sauce again and my daughter (6) is exactly the same, being somewhat curious we put it to the test, brown sauce, tomato sauce, mango chutney, lemon curd and vinegar are all like this too us. The mango chutney is the worst, the only thing I can find that seems to be common between these items is acetic acid. Im convinced the virus or bug we have is the culpret to this and was surprised to find these postings when I googled it.

While I was at it, I also googled acetic acid and found this on wikapedia....

"Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is an organic chemical compound, giving vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell. "

Could be a coincidence I know but looks to me as though this could be the cause of the smell many of you are describing, I dont have many other items in the cupboards with this in it to test but I have tried various other things like marmalade, jam, peanut butter etc and these are all ok, many with different types of acid content other than mentioned above and they all seem to be fine to us.

I hope this helps or others can possibly shed more light on it.

I´m not completely sure if it´s Ammoniak what I smell, but it´s very strange- I smell it just on several things, that are probably not related- and just since two days, when I got a flu, and no one else does.
I smell it on oranges, bread, myself (and no, I don´t smell bad usually) and in the air of my room- it´s really bad.
But hey, this is not a bad joke- what do an orange, bread (and not just one piece, several different sorts having been stored in different bags), air and me have in common?
I don´t know , but I hope this goes away soon. This forum is the only more or less fitting thing I have found on google...

Hey all....I too have suffered from this ammonia smell and the smell of fumes......have done tons of reading and you would not believe what I have found.....a web site, for a bacteria called H. pylori....this bacteria effects the digestive/stomach system and does release an offensive ammonia smell....There are several websites that give info on the H. Pylori and the other websites included that mention the ammonia problems...After reading these, I am going to the doctor and asking for testing of the H. pylori and a kidney and liver enzyme as well.....I hope this helps and I wish you the best! In addition, there may be a bacteria on the skin that causes other types of smell....recommened to see a dermatologist as well...

Still on some info that I read they blogs and some on medical sites state it comes from a sinus infection..........Going to the doctor and see what else can be done....

I have had to contend with this smell of ammonia since summer of 2008. I am healthy, have not been sick recently, and this smell is only found at work.

It makes me feel nauseated and annoyed to say the least. All the posts here describe the same smell...BUT THERE IS NO SOLUTION. I am not taking any meds, I am a healthy person as I've just had my yearly done!

Hi everyone,

I'm 24 years old and have experienced a persistent odor in my nose on and off for about 11 years. I liken it the scent of a permanent marker. Sometimes it is very strong; to the point that I get dizzy and very nauseous. Other times it is quite faint. The most bizarre thing is that it usually occurs when I chew certain types of gum.
I've been to see my doctor and got referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist who looked up inside my nasal cavity and down into my throat with a small camera on the end of a tube. He found nothing but prescribed a nasal spray that only made the smell worse.
I'd be glad to find a name for this and even more glad to be able to take something to make it go away!
At the very least, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this odd affliction.

Thanks

My smell is of burning dust. I've had it occur off and on for the past 6-7 years. I haven't experienced it in a number of years and then it came back last week. It makes me sick to my stomach and I almost puked at work because of it.

I can't believe the amount of posts on this topic and no solid answers. I'm in perfect health, in shape, no medical issues. Obviously, though, something isn't right. This is so frustrating!!!!

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Started right after a cold, which I am now convinced is a full blown sinus infection. Waiting to see my doctor now.

I notice it more in higher humidity environments. For instance, in the winter it is dry outside. As soon as I walk in my house I smell it (humidifier is on @ home). As soon as I walk into someone else's house I smell it as well, and at work (humidified air). I smell it on food, as others have suggested, but not really on cold food, more on hot food (which is producing steam). It is REALLY bad when I'm sitting in the hot-tub, and the steam is pouring out.

I smelled it on my rice yesterday, and almost couldn't eat my hamburger today at lunch.

I'm sure it's related to steam entering the sinus cavity, which is why I'm trying to get into the doctor to get checked for a sinus infection.

I am on NO other medication, and while I do have stress in my life (who doesn't), I am on no anti-depressants, or drugs for stress, etc. I don't even take suplements.

It is a hard smell to describe, but it is definitely a pungent odour, not unlike what others are describing here. Ammonia, Exhaust, Nail Polish remover with a hint of cat-urine. That's about the best way to describe it.

Hopefully, it's just a sinus infection that can be cured with a good dose of antibiotics.

I too have experienced this smell. Has anyone got an answer from a licensed physican yet? Are the posts from men as well as women?

I too googled smelling exhaust fumes and found this - wow. I have been smelling exhaust fumes for about 1-2 weeks now. Sometimes very strong sometimes not so much. I work from home and was going nuts trying to figure out where the fumes are coming from. I haven't been sick for a while (last time was about 3-4 months ago with a bad sinus infection). I don't smoke, not overweight, I don't have time to exercise much and I could be eating much better. I don't take any meds, but I am very stressed out, yet I have been stressed before too and never had this smell issue before. The fumes give me headaches, burning eyes and sometimes make me nauseous. I can't figure out what it is.
I am going to try the natural way first, by drinking more water, eating better and exercising. I noticed that when I stepped out of the house yesterday for an extended period of time I didn't have the smell problem. Very strange.

I have been sick since Monday and as of Wednesday i smelled strong bleach coming from fresh cooked french fries. then i was just in my room laying down and it smelled like someone stuffed bleached cotton balls in my nose (the humidifier was on). then i took a hot shower and the smell got potent again. and all of that was breathing normally - now when i inhale (deep) i almost choke because it feels like bleach is in my throat. i went out and bought bottled water, in fear that it could be the house water or the filter wasn't working properly. so i will see, but from all that i have read here, doesn't seem like that will work.