Hello!
I need advice, because something strange is happening to me. For the past two months I am smelling smoke all the time. I keep on asking people around me if they smell it too, but the answer is no. I smell it everywhere/ in gym, in office, at home… Does anyone have any advice what this might be?

Hey there,
I read somewhere that this might be connected to tumor forming head?! I really do not want to scare you, but it would be wise to visit a doctor and some test or some pict. of head done.
Regards!

mittendorf wrote:

Hello!

Did you find out what it was? I am having the same problem...would love to know what this is.

Does anyone have an answer as to what the cause of this may be? I'm concerned that someone wrote about brain tumors causing this symptom. If anyone has an answer, please ease my mind and email me at sendmail0 (at) gmail.com.

Thanks very much

I am having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know what causes this and remedies?

Mac

I have additional info to share. I noticed that I am having this problem only indoors. The moment I exit the house, I feel just fine.

I spend a lot of time in my office, which is small (12x8), and I have three computers and a couple of other electronics running at the same time.

I also have a sharper image ionic breeze ionizer in my bedroom. I have since turned off the ionizer to eliminate the obvious.

My initial prognosis is that this is being caused by blocked nasal passages. When my nose clears up (many times during the day), I suddenly feel much better. Which leads me to believe that this is definitely related to my clogged sinuses, and perhaps my indoor air quality (though its pretty good, considering I have ducts cleaned every year and change my 3M Ultra Allergen filters religiously every 2.5 months, and carpets shampooed every 6-9 months, etc, and no pets).

Anyone else care to share their living conditions? Perhaps there are common elements that we can focus on, to reduce the effect.

Thanks

sendmail0 wrote:

Thanks very much

Boy, am I glad to read this....even if it has no obvious answer. This has been going on for two weeks and I felt like I was nuts!! Still drives me crazy, but at least I know I am in god company. :-(

I googled this topic and expected to find nothing. I am so relieved others out there are experiencing this same dilemma. I am a non-smoker and neither my husband or friends smoke. I've been smelling cigarette smoke non-stop for the past week. I work in a smoke-free building and I smell smoke at work. My co-workers smell nothing. I smell smoke at home. I will take a shower, get in bed, and smell smoke. I smell my hair and sheets and both smell clean. It's so strange. I have had awful time with my sinuses since January, but the constant smell of cigarette smoke just started this week. I have an ionic breeze at home. I have houseplants in nearly every room that are said to purify the air. Neither the plants nor the ionic breeze are brand new. I have a small dog (less than five pounds), but I've had her for 4 years and don't believe she's part of the problem. From what I'm reading on the message boards, I should contact my doctor for help....even though right now I have no sinus infection or drainage. I just can't get this smell to go away. It's annoying because I hate the smell.

The smell of smoke drives me nuts and you can just imagine my annoyance when I began to smell it all the time, most of it in my own home! This began a few months ago most of the time around my computer. We don't smoke, we have no pets. Our windows are open all the time. So i started sniffing around as to where it could come from but I can't find the source. My husband couldn't smell it so he can't help me. The funny thing is I don't only smell it inside the house but i distinctly remember smelling it inside our car once while my husband was driving and with all windows closed. I just had a physical 3 weeks ago and everything is ok but now i'm not so sure whether to ask my doctor for a brain scan or something because this tumor thing is scary!

Well add me to the list on the cigarette smoke. It comes and goes and it is so strong it is like lighting a fresh cigarette. Not like second hand smoke or smoke on clothes. It seem deep in the nasal cavity. Mine has been happening for 7 months and it last for 5 mins and comes back every so often. Sometimes it is really strong that I can almost taste it. I am seeing a neurologist on the 25th of July. A little history on me: Ex smoker about 15 years ago and on metropol for high blood pressure, and my age is 43. Since this is happening for 7 months in Minnesota, we had snow, spring, and now summer, so elliminate pollen. I read it is called phantosmia. After the doctors visit I will post more.

Glad to hear that there are others out there with the same experience. MIne has been going on for the past 2 or 3 weeks, but it is getting worse (ie. previously I could only smell it every now and then but now it feels like it is almost always there).

I had a bad sinus infection several months ago and was put on an anti-biotic to which I had a mild allergic reaction to 10 days after finishing the full dose. SInce the sinus infection was still there, I went back to the doctor and got another anti-biotic medicine to which I was not allergic this time. It did clear up eventually.

I did go on Celebrex to clear up some inflammation that I had been experiencing in my forearms. I believe I was on Celebrex for only 3 weeks or so.

CUrrently on an anti-depressant for almost a month. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Glad to see I'm not nuts either. I wish I could say I have a solution. I had this problem last year for a few weeks and it went away. Now it's back. I have moved so I know it's not the house. Previous to moving in the ceiling and walls were all painted and new floor was installed in all the rooms. Someone else wrote about it starting after a cold/sinus infection. I did receintly have a cold, didn't go to the doctor but did take OTC meds. I'll give it a couple more weeks, if it hasn't stopped I'm going to the doctor, this is crazy. Like all of you I could understand smelling second had smoke, but this is like someone sitting right beside me all the time. I can smell other things just fine, when I'm trying to smell them but just breathing is like sitting next to a smoker. My husband can't smell anything when I have asked him. Please if anyone gets any info please pass it on.

I am also relieved to see there are others out there with this problem. I have been experiencing it for the past week or so. At first I thought someone in my office was smoking and it was coming through the A/C vent into my office--not the case. I didn't think much of it until I started noticing it in my car and at home. Then I thought it may be the odor coming off my shirts from the cleaners but sniffing close they smell clean. So I have determined it must be some type of phantosmia. No one around me smokes and no one can smell it but me. I have not had any sinus infections lately--the only thing was hand-foot-mouth disease a few months ago. I am also not on, nor have recently come off of any medications.

To the poster from 7/09, please let us know how your neurology appt on 7/25 went and what you found out. Thanks.

I know how you feel and there are many people out there like us in the same situation. I was surprised. I thought I was going nuts too. Right now I'm gathering as much information I can find from different cases like yourself. I feel that when I go to the Dr. if I do not have any documentation, He'll refer me to a therapist. But we are not alone.
I started to smell smoke this June. Then it dissapeared for a few weeks. Now it started up again. I am tracking what I eat or what I do. I can't really say that I do anything out of the ordinary. Except for 1 thing.
I have been taking Paxil for stress for quite a few years. I started with 20 mg and have dropped to 5mg a day. Recently I started to take 5 mg every other day and try to eventually eliminate it. Shortly after I cut the dosage , the smell smoke went away. I was shocked. I never really gave it much thought until recently. However, this type of medication is difficult to quit and last week , due to some ''issues'', I went back to 5mg a day. Guess what? the smoke smell is back. Recently I read that Seratonin levels may influence our condition. Can't find the articale again. Anyway, I'm going to try and cut down on Paxil again and see what happens. I'm still going to see the Dr. but I want to be sure if this may be the cause.
By the way, my dentist last week did a panoramic x-ray and said my sinuses were clear. I've also noticed that my eyes burn or start burning on the onset of the smell. Hope this is of some interest to you and hope that we eventually can get healthy again. By the way, I don't smoke.

I am taking Phentermine for weight loss which affects the seratonin levels, and I have been smelling smoke (and nothing else) for almost 2 mths. I did have a sinus infection and took antibiotics during that 1st mo. as well. So I'm not sure which is the cause.