Hi, I recently suffered from a cold. It was very disturbing for me since I like going out all the time. Staying in bed and having a lot of tea just doesn't fall under the category of a great time. What bothers me even more is the feeling that persists even though the cold is over. My sense of smell is diminished. It seams that all of my favorite food do not taste the same since my smell is "broken". Could I be losing my sense of smell for good? I would also like to say that I am a smoker as well.

Hi, diminished sense of smell is quite usual while having a cold. Molecules in the air that carry odor can be stopped from reaching the smell receptors in the nose if there is any kind of infection or inflammation that causes the mucus membranes that line the nose to swell. This includes colds, allergies, bacterial or any kind of upper respiratory infections. They can all make you feel as if you are loosing your sense of smell. This kind of condition can also be caused by a hard blow in the head. Since you are a smoker as well, you should know that cigarette smoke tends to pare the sense of smell. It could be that your cold is still active. Combined with the cigarettes, you have a numb sense of smell. A visit to the doctor will clarify things.

Hello. I had recently gotten hit by van and suffered a really bad concussion. A few days after my recovery I noticed I couldn't smell anything. I have just recently started looking up things about it, hoping i might find something that will tell I will get it back. But i just read something that terrifies me a little. Is there any way anybody might now how I can get it back? It me sad to think that I might not be able to smell for the rest of my life, especially since im young >< Please help ;-;