Hi!

I have a really good sense of smell, and its been driving me mad! I can pick up even the most remote smells, and any smell that is pungent or just really strong almost sickens me. Is there something I can do about this?

I had surgery 8 years ago when I smashed all the cartlidge in my nose in a surfing accident, but even that didn't help me- in fact, I'm sure it even improved my sense of smell.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! I also suffer hayfever... which is just a nasty thing

Thanks!

Hi there,

This is very interesting condition that you have. The fact is that sometimes I can even smell things that are not normally picked up by my nose and I can understand how this can be frustrated. However if you were born with this I am not sure if you have any way to get rid of this or to lower your sense of smell. You could try to talk to doctors and see if there are some medications that could lower your sense of smell. Have you tried to isolate yourself for some times somewhere where you don’t have big variety of smells? Maybe there is some natural remedy that is able to lower your sense of smell.

I too, have a very sensitive sniffer. I can often tell what someone has just eaten for lunch, if they had any alcohol the previous night, or smell someone's breath across the table. Riding in a car with smeone who has bad breath is a nightmare for me. I carry a scented hand lotion, put a little on my hands and then touch /rub some off on my upper lip/base of the nose.