Hi, I am a thirty two years old woman. I have a problem that is getting on my nerves. For some time now I have been suffering this really bad taste and smell. It always occurs when I scream, sneeze or blow my nose. Someone told me to use nasal spray but I am reluctant to do anything yet. What can you tell me about the bad taste and smell that I am experiencing?

Hi, first of all a cause of the bad taste and smell that you are having must be found. The two reasons that cross my mind that can create this condition are acid reflux and sinusitis. Acid reflux means that the content of the stomach goes back and can even get to the mouth and nose. When that happens, the symptoms are like the ones you are having. As for the sinusitis, it means that that mucus is being collected in the nose and sinuses. In time it starts to smell very bad. However, in order to be sure what is the reason that is causing you to suffer bad taste and smell, you must pay a visit to the doctor. He will also set the right course of treatment.

Hi, I am experiencing the same. It tastes and smells like a biter tablet has caught in my throat. Did you ever finest what was causing this. Thanks

Hi I'm having the same problem aswell what isit? The doctors won't help me as every1 thinks I'm going mad I'm the only1 who can smell and taste this vile discusting thing its just vile :( people are saying it might be todo with cancer? But I'm 23years old I can't go to doctor and tell him this coz he thinks I'm insane as it is

It can be something as innocuous as nasal polyps, or something as serious as a brain tumor or epilepsy. You need to see a doctor. Think of all the crazy things they see and hear every day. Nobody is going to judge you. 

If your doctor rules out all of the above, consider yourself a member of the Phantosmia club. Things smell and taste bad for no reason, and usually taste and smell identical. It can come and go, or be present most of the time. Everyone is different. 

The only treatment is tilting your head and snorting saline. NEVER TAP WATER. You can get Naegleria fowleri that way - which has a 98% fatality rate (seriously, look it up).

Phantosmia a hard condition to have as no one really understands it, but you're definitely not alone. 

I have the same problem. its a foul taste that appears out of no where and some times lasts for a few minutes or a few seconds. i have been to the doctor who knows nothing, and been to a dentist and had a good check up and cleaning. I take prilosec for heartburn but never have reflux or acid that i know of. I take othe rmeds, but i have been taking them for years and this problem only began a few months ago. im a 48 year old male.

Hey there,

I'm also suffering from this! Every morning before I brush my teeth, I clear my throat to find dark yellowish mucus. After yelling or scoffing (I like to be sarcastic sometimes), I can smell the bad taste! After each sneeze it is there! I'm thinking it is a cause of a sinus infection and was prescribed 500 mg of Amoxicillin and it didn't exactly help. I occasionally use a sinus rinse which helps me feel clean but through out the day I expect to taste/smell it, and I do. Don't think it is cacosmia. I haven't had an exam, x rays or endoscopy done yet, if that all comes back clear then I may have to research more about cacosmia inshAllah.

Hi Everybody who suffering from the same problem,

I had the same problem before, about month ago. I had a bad sinus infection, which I never had before, and it smelled foul. I didn't to know what to do first. I thought about antibiotic medicine, but I didn't have health insurance at the time, so I wanted to avoid as much as I could, besides, I read about the article that the it's not very effective.

Weeks went by, I still smelled foul from my nose, but one day I came up an idea that my nose is infected by some kind of fungus, and vinegar kills fungus, so I decided to boil vinegar and inhaled it about 5 to 10 minutes. ....It improve my symptoms drastically, but it didn't cure right way. But I did every day twice a day, by the time about a week later, my symptoms are all gone.

Right now, I am sinus infection free, which means that I don't smell anything bad from my nose any longer. So I wanted to share with others what I did to cure my sinus infection. But I strongly believe that if I used some kind of pump to rince my nose with a solution, which, vinegar and water mix would be a lot more potent. (I did not have anything like that available at the time). I wish everybody good luck with all.

Hello guys,

I have noticed the same happening, but its is related a bit what i am eating.

Forexample i would usually sneaze after eating un - organic sweet chili and i would have a rubber after taste in my mouth , also after eating some other green vegitbals i get some other random tasts.

I am just hoping its not the pestisides !

if anyone knows the reason please tell me!

Thx

Did you ever learn the reason for this. I gave the same symptoms

I have had the same experience I just got back from the ENT, otolarynogology, Dr my scan came back fine and I did not have any polyps and everything came back normal, I have been in good health, I did have the flu and they put me on 3 different antibiotics this year, I had never had this before, I think it could have been the medication although I do not know for sure. This is very frustrating.

I've got that is sucks

I had horrible allergies last week that morphed into sinus/head cold.  I got horrible smelling and tasting mucus - reminds me of tar.  I had just had my wisdom teeth removed and wondered if it was related to that.  

1. I saw my family physician and she said it was a sinus infection and prescribed me antibiotics and a steriod to boost progress.

2. I saw my oral surgeon and he said the teeth removal and sinitis *could* be related but that the prescriptions my doctor put me on should clear it up.  I'm just on day 2 of the prescriptions so can't really report any progress yet. 

How long have you had it for now?

It's started to go away now. I went to my family physician and she prescribed a Z Pack and Steroids and that got rid of the worst of it but still had smell and taste in phlegm. I still get a bit every once in a while in the morning but I think it's fading. I only get it (yellow mucus) first thing when I wake up in the morning.