Hello everyone,

I have this friend who recently broke up with her boyfriend and she has been feeling down for the past week, as soon as she broke up with him. She told me today that she is losing her sense of taste and she told me that she searched about it online and it seems to her that this is a warning sign of depression.

Does anyone here have any thoughts of this? I have never seen her depressed and I know her for almost 5 years now, but she has been feeling really down after the breakup with her boyfriend.

Hi Guest,

Scientists say that losing your sense of taste can indeed be an early sign of depression. There is a good explanation about this on the internet but I don't really understand those kind of things, they are talking about some connections in the brain between taste and mood, and serotonin and I don't know what. Maybe you should search online in order to find something more about it, if you are able to understand these kind of things, of course.

But it seems to be true that your sense of taste can definitely be an early sign of depression.

I don't know, I happen to have a friend who is a doctor specialized in working with people who are suffering from depression and anxiety. He said that losing your sense of taste is probably the first symptom of depression that you can notice. He has a lot of people coming to talk to him because of this and he is almost always right about this being the first symptom of depression.

However, he says that it doesn't necessarily have to mean that a person is suffering from depression if he is losing his sense of taste - it could just be a phase as well.

Hello Nina and Deni,

Well, I was kind of doubting that she is eventually going to end up being depressed as soon as the two of them started arguing. It was obvious that it was going to break sooner or later and I knew that my friend was going to be really upset about it.

I was kind of sure that this was just an early sign of depression but I wanted to check it and be 100% sure, just in case.

How long do you think it might take her to get over him? They have been dating for about 5 years.

Hello there.

Sure it can be a sign of the depression. There are several explanation for this, but one is really true - our taste is linked to the brain chemicals which control our moods and that is why you can have problems with this. 

It is known that, when levels of these chemicals fall, which is thought to happen when a patient is suffering depression, our sense of taste is blunted.

So, this can definitely be a sign of early depression and you should do something about this. But you should really talk to your doctor about this situation....

It is true. But I believe that even doctors can't explain this for sure. For example, I can tell you from my own experience. I have been suffering from different kind of depressions for more than 15 years now and I can tell you that this is really ugly. Two years ago I lost my sense of smell and no doctor knows why. I went to see three of my doctors and no one could tell me what happened. Also, I have been checked by several specialists, I was consulting with them, they did some scan and this scan also didn't show anything. So, that means that I am not sick, but still I can't explain what has happened to me. One friend told me about this, that losing sense of taste can be a sign of the depression. From my point of view, it can.

I know exactly what you are saying. When this happened to me, I tried to explain this to my friends and they looked at me like I was from another planet. So I started to read a lot about this. I found information that the
loss of taste and smell may be connected to a zinc deficiency. People who are depressed may have an abnormality in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin, and as far as I know tryptophan is also indirectly necessary in the absorption of zinc. Zinc is required in about 80 enzymes. So it makes sense, but when you think about this a little bit as well, you can see that there is a connection between it.

I don't know what to tell you about this, but I do believe that  your smell and taste loss is not related to any kind of depression. Trust me, I am depressed as well, like many of you and I done a lot of researches on depression as well. I do know that if your depression has been successfully treated then your symptom of taste loss would be improved also. 

So I believe that deficiency of zinc can be a reason why some people are losing their taste and smell, I don't think that this is necessarily related to depression.