It seems that I have a smell in my nose that smells somewhat like ammonia. It is not on my skin nor do it seem to be in my breath. I was wondering could it be a sinuses problem. Or is it related to something happening within my body.

nseifullah wrote:

I am searching for answers about the same problem. My mother has an almost constant smell of ammonia. It is not cleaning product or when she is in certain areas, it is as though it is internal.

I am afflicted with the same or similar problem. Its not ammonia I can smell and the smell is not offensive its more like hot wheat. But after several hours of it, it becomes annoying. Ive taken to putting vicks vapour rub on my nostrils to mask the smell. I think it might be neuralogical. Any thoughts or comments?

Does anyone have an answer to this?

I too have the constant smell and would like to know where to go to find out what this smell may be linked to.

I have the same thing! Any answers to what this is?

The constant smell of ammonia is one of the indicators of kidney failure.
I would make an appt with your physician to have you blood checked ASAP !

Guest wrote:

Hi...wow...lately I have been experiencing this exact thing..and even did the same as you! I masked the smell with vicks, so i could sleep and not have to smell it! lol I am at a loss as well...I have tried to change certain things...like washing detergent, cologne, etc...dusted and cleaned the place thoroughly... but it seems to follow me around everywhere! ...so I know it's in MY head..err nose. :( It drives me nuts and is stronger and weaker at random times....but has always been there lately. (hmm..It seemed to start and be worse since I coloured my hair with a home kit, 2 weeks ago, btw....a clue?) My smell is sorta ammonia-like... acidic?..and it makes my eyes sting kinda bad, SOME of the time too. I colour my hair at home regularly, and never had a problem before now..using same kit all the time,....but.., you know the powder they use for mixing the solution?...it stings the nose if you breathe it in a bit too hard BEFORE it's mixed* (which I recall a stinging sensation up my nose alittle bit, this last time ...so i think i did by accident!)(obviously says on the box, try NOT to!)..so I'm sorta wondering if that is maybe a/the root cause?...as it is sorta stinging and ammonia-like right when ya mix it, if you don't do it quick and don't cover your nose until its fully mixed. This is all I can think of...in the way of inhaling anything I shouldn't have. (yet, these kits are sold everywhere and I've honestly never had a problem before now)

I'm at a loss though. I shower 2, 3 times a day, tried all different bath talcs, after shaves, deodorants etc..and its always in my damn nose somewhat! Somebody help me!!...have I given any clues? I'm beginning to suspect I may have breathed in too much of something thoughl (hmm ...as mentioned, the extremely strong & ammonia-ic hair powder is all I can think of?) perhaps a little harder than I maybe should have..and I suspect now I may have damaged something up my nose by it? (and hopefully it won't be permanent!!)

It's extremely annoying and a HUGE bummer.... been 2 weeks now....UGH! and it's making me very self conscious.... YET... other people tell me I smell NICE!?!!.. and they do not smell a thing out of the ordinary!?? go figure.. I'm bumming though...

any Docs out there, have a clue from any of this? thanks.

Guest wrote:

I would make an appt with your physician to have you blood checked ASAP :!:

never a bad idea to go to doctor..and i shoudl go again soon. I go regualrly though, every 3 months...and recently had a major physical with everything coming back perfect! (so...I'd like to think my kidneys were/are ok!!??)....yet, I will certainly raise this point to my doctor.

thnaks for the tip!!...certainly nothing to take lightly. :)

I get the same thing. I usually notice it in winter more than summer and I first noticed it when living in a mold infested apartment in Salt Lake City. Ever since then it occasionally pops up. Would like to know more if anyone has info. My dad had alcoholic liver failure and we were told that as it progresses the ammonia in teh body builds up and damages the brain function. I am not an alcoholic and my liver and kidneys are fine, but I am concerned this ammonia smell does at times affect brain function. Please help me understand this.

Hi there. I too have the problem of smelling ammonia in my nose that really isn't there. I don't remember what it's called - some people smell ammonia, some smell good smells, and some smell garbage! Yuck. It is quite anyoying smelling something that no one else can smell. It makes you feel like you're going a bit nutty. And after awhile it can become quite nausiating (forgive my spelling).
Mine seems to be related to my sinuses (according to my doctor). HOWEVER, he did do an MRI to rule out a brain tumor. In fact, I have had 2 MRI's over the last couple of years for vertigo, loss of balance and the ammonia smell.
I'm not for certain, but I think the one about kidney failure is for ammonia smells that are actually coming from the body or urine.
Anyway, don't freak out. I suspect for many people it is just their sinuses going a bit wacko, but my doctor said for something like that, a brain tumor needs to be ruled out. Good luck all and take care.

Same problem - smelling it in my nose only- here.

I went to a bunch of doctors. They thought it was epilepsy for the longest time and to find out they were wrong. Now they have no idea.

hi, I have the same thing & it bugs me soooo much. I did find this though so I am asking my doctor about it. It talks about a bacteria that some people have that causes heartburn like symptoms & the amonia smell.

drmirkin.com/archive/6187.html

I have ammonia smells and was told by my neurologist that it was from my having partial seizers and from an onset of migraines that I also have.

I also have experianced this, though it only seems to occure when it is cold out and I run an electric air heater. I'm currently living on my sailboat,and when its warm and no heater on there are no symtoms of this.