I lost my smell three years ago and only have partialy taste

They both come back very occasionally for very brief hours except for 2012 Oct/Nov when they came back for 2 months

I have had an operation on the nose and use regular nasal washes

I have the same problem. I got a bad cold after flying home from Disney World in April 2012. I lost my sense of smell and taste.

I can taste, sweet, sour, bitter, spicey (hot) but no flavors.. I do have a content slight sent of what smells like citrus and a slight taste of it also.. It is very upsetting as when I am hungry for a certain item, it is like my body goes into shock as I can't taste it and my body is wanting that taste. One good thing about this is I have lost weight because eating isn't a big thing for me anymore.

But I would like to get both back.. I have to ask my family if I put on too much perfume because I can't smell it.

If you find out what is causing this, PLEASE tell me!!!

Have you ever used zinc-based cold nasal sprays like zicam? Zinc can destroy sensitive smell receptors in the nose, permanently. There have been tons of lawsuits over Zicam. Stick to zinc lozenges!