My mom has lupus disease and now I am worried could I have lupus too. Actually I plan on getting a baby and I never had some test regarding lupus and would like to do that. So how I may check out if I could have lupus too and is that possible my future baby gets it?

Hi there I have 32 years and my mom has lupus, but I was born without it and 4 years ago I also decided to get pregnant. I went to check up with my medical doc if there are any chances for my baby to get lupus and the answer was that there’re some small chances but in general lupus is not inherited in such easy way. Anyway my baby was born without lupus. The fact is that the members of these family where exist lupus case are more likely to develop the disease but usually it’s not the case. So I was doing my own researches and found out that for example in three or four and [probably more generations there’s no sign of lupus. So in general the lupus is not inherited it’s only that there’re some more chances for lupus to develop in persons in whose family lupus exist. And if you want to make sure if you could have lupus too than you may do ANA test which is a screening test for lupus but even when ANA turns out to be positive it still doesn’t men you have lupus, for there’re many cases where ANA is positive in healthy people. And also you may have blood and urine test that will show if your immune system is overactive which one of the lupus signs is.