My brother and his wife are expecting new baby. My sister in law has SLE for 4 year. Is there possibility for baby to get neonatal lupus erythematosus? How serious it can be for a baby? Is it possible to detect disease in unborn child by ultra sound or any other diagnosing testing?

Neonatal lupus erythematosus (also NLE) is very rare disease. Transplacental passage of maternal autoantibodies is the cause of it. Approximately 1% of newborn child can develop NLE if mother is positive to autoantibodies. Clinical manifestations most commonly include cardiac, hepatic and dermatologic disorders. Hematological abnormalities have been reported in some infants.

I have SLE, had it since I was 9 or 10. I just had a girl 6 weeks premature.I found out she has neonatal lupus the risk is 2-5% chance.She is my first baby.She has a heart block, and rash.