Hello, good people. My mother has been suffering from crohn’s disease for years. Lately, she has been experiencing some problems with gallstones. I would like to know if this is somehow linked to her basic disease. I am not an expert in this area, so I will appreciate all your help.

Hi, there. People with Crohn’s disease have increased risks for gallstones. It is especially characteristic for those who have inflammation localized on terminal ileum. These patients do not have enough bile acids to solubilise bile cholesterol. This is one of the basics for appearing of gallstones. You should see if your mother can treat this. I am not sure if she will be recommended for surgery or ultrasound lithotripsy. You should discuss with someone who is specialist in this area. I am sorry I cannot give you more info. Good luck!