I would like to ask something. My friend’s kid has been diagnosed with crohn’s disease. I know that it is the form of inflammatory bowel disease. I have heard about this disease among older people, but I don’t know if it is common in children. Can someone provide me with more info? For example, I know that usual onset is within people in their 20’s and 30’s. All your help will be appreciated.

Hello. In most cases, ileum is affected here. Ileum is one of the parts of small intestines. However, in some cases colon can also be affected. Usual symptoms are abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Weight loss is also something one should look out for. There can be some effect on growth rate. Bleeding from rectum is also possible. If upper parts of digestive systems are affected, then there could be nausea and vomiting. Poor appetite is also possible. Your friends should really talk to the specialist. I hope he will help.