Hi. A good friend of mine has been suffering from herpes for years. I know that this virus is spread among the general population. However, he has also been diagnosed recently with crohn’s disease. I would like to know if this has something to do with the virus he is carrying. I hope someone will know to answer me.

Hi, there. It is possible that these two entities are linked. However, it is more logical to me that a person with Crohn’s gets herpes. The main medications for Crohn’s disease are corticosteroids. They suppress immune system. We all know that herpes infection manifest whenever there is the impairment in immune system. Maybe I am wrong, but this seems logical to me. If you need more info, why don’t you consult an expert in this area? Maybe you can find out something interesting. Bye!

Hello there edsel1557,

Well I believe that your friend is suffering from Crohn’s dieasese for years and just recently he got herpes. And you have probably mistyped this or maybe you haven’t been paying much attention when your friend was talking about his condition. Either way there can be link between these two conditions because autoimmune disorder means that immune system is weak and that is attacking healthy tissue and cells by mistake.

There is not known cure either cause for this condition and when it comes to treatment therapy is usually focused on reducing the symptoms of the condition. Herpes is occurring when immune system is impaired or weak and this could be because of the impairment of the immune system in your friend’s case.

I noticed an intense burning/itching sensation during sex in 2004. I immediately stopped and noticed my penis was covered with a hive-like rash. It turns out it was Herpes. Within a few days of this encounter I was kept up all night by severe abdominal pain. I was holding my gut, moaning uncontrollably and unable to sleep. I went to the ER where I received a CT scan. My intestines were so swollen that the doctors couldn't clearly see what was happeneing. Initially they told me I either had cancer or Crohn's Disease. In a few hours they decided it was Crohn's. I strongly believe that the same sexual encounter that caused me to contract Herpes also gave me Crohn's. My initial Herpes outbreak was severe. It covered my anus and led to hemorrhoidal tissue that literally dropped off my body in the bathtub. My outbreaks are increasingly long lasting now due to the immunosuppressant drug Azathioprine I use for Crohn's. I am particularly worried about losing my vision due to this horrible combination of ailments. I did not get Crohn's first. I had never heard of it until I got it.

I know this is old, but you can not pass crohn’s onto someone. You were more than likely born with it, and had just experienced your first flare up.