I am beside myself with fear.  My daughter almost died in November from pulmonary embolisms.  She has recently been diagnosed with lupus anticoagulant syndrome.  She is 19 and very responsible and taking control of her health.  She has been in the emergency room a few times since. Doctors thought things were in control so she went to visit grandparents in Florida and had to come home early.  She went to emergency room and found her blood was to thick.  Ate a bit to many asparagus.  Then she was bleeding from the urinary track ended up in the hospital again.  They said it was a UTI put her on inter-venous antibiotic even though she questioned the nurse of the safety of mixing it with her coumadin.  Nurse said she didn't think it was an issue.  Bleeding got to the point where she was peeing almost pure blood.  Her hemotologist advised she get back home to be monitored individually instead of a huge Florida Hospital where your a number.  Isn't florida cumadin capitol with the elderly and should be well versed better then a 19 year old who was brave enough to question the medical profession?  Then when she comes home her blood is now to thick again.  I guess it's a wake up call that just because the initial near death incident is over we can't forget this is life long.  This is so uncommon for a 19 year old. We live in a small state so they had to put her in the geriatic ward as they had not delt with this type of crisis with someone so young. And this is the Biggest hospital in our state.   I don't let it consume me but reality is this can be deadly within a day constantly fighting either a clotting incident or a bleeding.  I can't do my usual bury my head in the sand and it'll go away.  I have always thought myself and children were invincible so this is a new reality for me and I don't know how to deal with it. 

if you are truly concerned that she is not able to receive proper care in your location i would stongly advise you have her taken care of out of state in a hospital that has more experience with pulmonary issues.

I have this same diagnois. I had the near death experience. I had multiple clots in my lungs and heart. I am now on coumidin for life. I also am on about 10 other medications. It is somewhat under control and I must watch it daily. I am 30 years older and she will have some others issues, but is important! She will need to spend about 3 hours daily on it.