My friend is addic`ted to the pain medication-Norco. Last week she was arrested for Doctor Shopping. The day after she got out of jail, she went to a methadone treatment center. It is only for 21 days and then they said she would have to find a doctor to perscribe it to her. The thin is she has no insurance. Also she is now a known drug abuser and notices were sent to all pharmacies and Dr offices. What can she do when the withdrawles start and her severe back pain is unbearable? :'(

Because she has no insurance it is going to be difficult for her. She can and should make a call to her local Deptartment of Social Services. If you are a good friend of hers, maybe she can give you permission to speak on her behaf. Many times when a person is in a center or rehab, the social workers will pay a visit to the patient and discuss their financial situation with them. They will help your friend to get the insurance that she will need for her aftercare.

Before I give you any advice, can you please tell me in what state you are living? Every state handles drug addiction in many different ways. I know drug offenders have to register in California and Florida, however, Florida is the one state that has no laws against "doctor shopping." bbfeet9 is absolutely correct: contact your local Social Services department, or your local Dept. of Mental Health & Hygiene. California has M.S.I. - Medical Services for Indigents - which will completely cover a range of medical services, as long as you can qualify (or prove that you are broke). Maryland and New Jersey provide methadone for free, but MAryland involves going through Social Services. So, that's why I ask which state you are in. Some recognize addiction as a disease, and some don't.