I have a 19 month old baby daughter. At the hospital, they told me I had no milk and that they had to formula feed her because she was restless and screaming with hunger. I did plan to breastfeed for some time at least, but it turned out to be impossible for me. If I have any more babies in future, I would like to have another go at breastfeeding. Can you tell me what kind of problems you encountered while trying to breastfeed? And how do you avoid these problems?

Hi there! I am a Certified Nurse Midwife and I see quite a lot of nursing moms in my profession :-). I have also read plenty of studies that suggest that the vast majority of women has plenty of milk for their babies (99 percent, actually!) and that problems with supply very rarely occur. Generally, breastfeeding your baby on demand will up your supply, and you will have as much milk as your baby needs. If you have supply issues, pumping in between feeds to increase your milk supply can help a lot. Not "topping your baby up" with formula is important, as this lowers your supply, sometimes permanently.

Let me assure you that some, not all women do have issues with lactation. Some of these concerns are related to privacy - I was never able to nurse in the hospital [with my first baby]. With constant attention and visitors, privacy was an issue. Not to mention nurses just come in and demand if I was ready to breastfeed. It never worked for me. i had to request privacy and moved to a different room. Back home I was able to nurse my baby and we had a good nursing relationship!

This problem reduced over successive pregnancies and with the 3rd baby i was able to nurse in public - something that never happened with the first one. So, relax - discover yourself and your bodily needs. You will be fine