Hi everyone,

I'm working in the hospital as a nurse, I've just started a few days ago. It is pretty hard to get used to everything but I'm guessing that it works the same with all new beginnings. 

Anyway, I've studied about a bunch of diseases and conditions but it was the first time that I heard about this, or at least I think so.

I went to check on the patients with the doctor and for one lady he said that she has symptoms of leaking pulmonary valve and he mentioned something about its risk factors. Can you tell me anything about these? I would appreciate it.

Hi Adria,

My mother had this so I can help you out with some info.

There are few causes of leaking pulmonary valve and these include a bicuspid aortic valve, which means the valve has two flaps instead of the normal three, high blood pressure or hypertension, infection of the heart valve known as endocarditis, marfan syndrome and rheumatic heart disease.

Very often this condition has no symptoms. When it does, the symptoms are shortness of breath, especially with exertion or when lying flat and leg swelling or fluid retention elsewhere in the body. The leaking might become severe if not treated properly. 

Hey you two,

I heard about a few more symptoms of leaking pulmonary valve rather than just the ones you've wrote, Health n Joy. I heard that lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, heart fluttering or palpitations and fatigue can also be its symptoms, but the thing is that these things are also symptoms of a lot of other heart issues so I guess they wouldn't mean a lot when diagnosing one with a leaking pulmonary valve. 

I'm guessing that only an unhealthy way of living could lead to leaking pulmonary valve. That's why doctors recommend eating properly, not smoking, not drinking too much alcohol, because these things are bad for your health, bad for your heart.

Hello everyone,

Those are the symptoms alright, but like Health n Joy wrote, you will rarely see anyone with these symptoms which makes that lady a bit of a rare case. 

Everyone with a leaky pulmonary valve can benefit from daily exercise, like walking, at least. Not smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are just as important for people with leaky pulmonary valves as for other people. Regular follow-up with a doctor, even when there are no symptoms, can ensure a leaky heart valve does not cause problems that could be avoided.

But before engaging in competitive or contact sports, a person should contact his doctor.

Hello everyone. I can’t talk from my own experience but I can talk from my good friend's experience who has leaking pulmonary valve.

But I need to tell you that there are usually no some early symptoms that would be noticed by the patient. It is a little bit risky because the signs can be detected in a medical exam that include certain type of murmur heard when the heart is between heart beats.

But some symptoms that you really need to pay attention are chest pain, chest discomfort, fatigue, fainting and lightheadedness.

Risk factors depends on the stage of the disease.

Hi guys.

I really don’t want to scare you, but if you left it untreated it can be very dangerous. My first wife died because she didn’t pay a lot of attention when doctors told her that she is dealing with leaking pulmonary valve. Doctors told her that this is not dangerous and it can be controlled with medications but she didn’t wanted to use them. She hide it from me and she told me when it was too late. I think that I never told anyone about this because it makes me sad even thinking about it. My point is that you need to visit the doctor and listen to him when he is giving you a treatment.

Hi everyone,

This condition can be really dangerous if it is left untreated, but since the lady who has it is lying in the hospital, I'm quite sure that she is going to get the necessary care.

In most cases, this isn't dangerous at all and it usually shows no signs that someone has it, no symptoms. But a leaky pulmonary valve can be problematic if it is severe. If the pulmonary valve begins to allow significant amounts of blood to leak back into the heart, then the heart’s right pumping chamber (the right ventricle) must begin to work harder to pump more blood, both the backward-flowing leaked blood and the incoming blood from the heart’s right upper chamber (the atrium).

Hi everyone,

You are right Stradivarius, it can be pretty severe. The more blood the valve allows to back into the heart, the more work the right ventricle must do. Over time, the extra work can fatigue the heart and make the pumping chamber enlarge significantly. Its ability to pump blood may deteriorate, leading to heart failure.

It's true that in most cases this is more or less harmless, but when you realize that there is a chance of you ending up with a heart failure, you will do everything in your power to treat this in a correct way, and it is pretty much easy to treat.

Good day everyone.

I am pretty sure that members already told you about the symptoms. As you can see, the symptoms of pulmonary valve are really similar to some other diseases as well. That is why sometimes is very hard to know what disease you might have.

About your other questions, the risk factors of leaking pulmonary valve there are a lot of them. Like in every disease, to be precise.

The worst risk is definitely high blood pressure or hypertension that usually, in a lot of cases, can lead to heart attack. As you can see this disease is dangerous. Very dangerous, to be precise.