Can you tell me something about the connection between the deep brain stimulation and severe depression? My mother is 62 years old and suffers from a severe depression for more than 6 years now. Medications have only helped a bit and it is simply not enough. I have heard of this new technique and I wonder if it might help my mother…

I think that Canadians researchers started that new technique, and already tried it on several severe cases (suffering from depression for more than a decade). It is based on the electro stimulation of the brain areas that should be responsible for depression. And it looks like that 4 out of 10 patients claim that the depression was greatly subdued. And after two months, 5 out of 6 feel better! I think that is something your mother should seriously consider.

I wonder if that would help with Bipolar Disorder? I was in a funk for 10 yrs before I just got diagnosed. I have been a guinea pig and have tried every SSRI and SNRI out there, and the SNRI's have tripped me into severe BP episodes. I am starting out on a whole new class of drugs, but I worry these won't help either.. I don't want to be an invalid.