My psychistrist haas tried all kinds of meds. I told him nothin works. He got annoyed and did nothing. What do I do?

How many meds have you tried and in what time period? If your able, find a new shrink. I'm on Shrink #2, cuz my first one refused to listen to me and kept getting an attitude with me over meds.

Most anti-depressants take several weeks to hit their full therapeutic levels in your system. Unfortunately they aren't a medication that you feel working right away. Believe me, i know! I have Treatment Resistant Depression. I've been on over 28 meds in the last 13 years. I'm on my last one (lithium). So far all it's doing for me is giving me gut rot, but I've got a few more dose increases before this one will be added to the list for failures. If the lithium fails, Plan B is ECT, cuz there isn't anything left to try.  

i dont belive in meds or any of that stuff that plp will tell u.. it doesnt wrok. u eneed to try to be active.. find things u like... i know its not easy i have it to..... ditch the pills.., maybe sumthng spirtual.. i will pray that it goes away in jesus name k? hang in there.. and again dont elive in mes. they dont work and make u u want to lean on them. its not good for u.. take care

Sorry to hear my heart goes out to you, I have been through the same thing for many years. I have taken I think every medicine they have. I finally went and had the ECT done. It helped for a while but I went back into the same thing over again, but that was my fault because I was suppose to keep them up and didn't because I could not go for them because the place was far from where I lived and could not afford to. But I can say that it did help a lot better than the medicines. And I was at the end of my rope at the time. And as for now I am going back through the same thing with the medicines they just don't understand.Try to stay in control and find someone else. You will find someone they are out there and ones like us try to stick together. I will pray for you and if you believe you can too it helps, but not everyone is the same. Good luck and GOD Bless. Please post up to dates if you have any, would like to know.

Hi guest, that must be so frustrating for you. Be wary of advice that meds don't work. For some people they are life saving or life changing. What I would say is that some people can recover from depression without meds and that if you are taking them they should only be one part of your wellness plan. I'll post later with more. all the best

I have found medication helpful and have been on a lot of different ones. If antidepressants do not help you at all, perhaps you could try alternatives like St John's Wort or 5HTP. A lot of people think therapy works.

If you will n ot take antidepressants for your depression, what are you going to do?

Hi Capricorn, my reply was to another that said don't use meds, they don't work. I think that's really dangerous advice. As I said in my post for some people meds ate life changing or life saving. But they are not necessarily the best approach for everyone, and some people are treatment resistant. Therapy and meds don't work for them. For those people ECT or deep brain stimulation might help.
And I believe, and the research shows, that drugs combined with therapy give much better results than drugs alone. I think therapy should be a part of any depression treatment plan. I have no vested interests here. And some people can get better with therapy and lifestyle changes alone. If guest's pdoc is just offering meds then he/she is not getting the best treatment possible.
Things that can help aside from therapy meds and ect and dbs are exercise, meditation, journalling, staying connected to friends and family, gratitude diary, doing something you find meaningful, doing things you enjoy, getting enough slepp, abstaining from drugs and alcohol, a regular routine, reducing stress. Doing one of these things probably won't make your depression go away unless it is mild, but some of the combined, plus either therapy, meds or both will greatly help on your recovery. I was severely depressed for a long time. The above plus therapy have completely turned that around. but that wouldn't work for everyone. Depression is complex. Some people benefit from meds, others don't need them. This is jot a moral judgement. Just how it is.
For the original poster, is your psychiatrist offering you therapy as well? Do you have a good relationship with her? Perhaps you would be better off with someone else if you don't feel listened to. Also, take charge of your illness if you can. There are many things you can do to help yourself get better. I have listed some of them in this post. If you are currently taking meds don't give them up without medical advice. That's dangerous. Wishing you all the best. You can get better.