I work in one humanitarian agency. We have to deal with a lot of various cases in order to help people who don't have enough money to help themselves. Recently we have the case of delirium with one person who has start alcohol withdrawal. I am interested to know more about delirium syndrome?

I had a chance to see lot cases of delirium during my doctor's career. I am retired now. It is transient syndrome. Delirium is characterized with disordered thinking, attention and perception and other symptoms. At some point in there lives between 2 and 5% of alcoholics experience withdrawal seizures usually within 48 hours of stopping drinking. These are usually generalized and any electroencephalographic abnormalities are mild and generally return to normal within several days.

Hello there,

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who need help when they finally decide to stop drinking.

Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal can be very serious so one of these nasty symptoms is delirium syndrome. Usually it is accompanied with tremors and vomiting and sometimes even hallucinations.

When my best friends husband stop drinking after 15 years of excessive drinking of alcohol he had so terrible symptoms that she took him to the hospital. It is unbelievable that alcohol can do something like that to the human body.  

I hope that I will never have to see something like that in my life and that young people understands how dangerous drinking can be. Once they start it is hard to stop.