Hello, guys. My father is an alcoholic for a long period of time and he was diagnosed Korsakoff's syndrome. I must admit that I haven’t heard about this before. I would like to ask anyone to tell me what this syndrome is. It would be great if anyone could help. Thanks in advance.

Hello. Wernicke-Korsakoff’s syndrome is a result of thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is also known as vitamin B1. It appears when severe acute deficiency of thiamine occurs. It is usually found with chronic alcoholics. It can also be found with patients who are long on intravenous therapy without thiamine supplements. In some areas of the world, where people eat polished rice, there can be found thiamine deficiency which manifests as beri beri. People with Krosakoff’s syndrome show atrophy of certain regions of the brain. There is amnesia as one of the main symptoms. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!