Hi, a few days ago I had a bizarre experience. I was at my friend's house when he started to act strange. He was confused and did not recognize me. First I thought that he was kidding with me, but when he started to talk nonsense I decided to take him to the doctor. There I was asked all sorts of questions about my friend's history and about his experience with drugs and alcohol. After a while the doctor said that my friend is suffering from acute delirium and that it will take some time for him to recover. Can you explain to me what could have caused acute delirium in my friend? I have never seen anything like that before.

Hello, acute delirium is a condition that can be caused by a lot of things. It is not an illness on its own, but rather a consequence of another problem. The acute delirium can not be treated if the cause of this episode is unknown. In fact, the doctors do not treat delirium, but the condition that has caused it. Acute delirium episodes can be caused by alcohol or drugs withdrawal, low levels of glucose, dehydration, severe infections, low oxygen levels in blood and many other things. That is why the doctor asked you so many questions about your friend. I guess that you have given the right information about your friend to the doctors to because they have started the treatment. The recovery time is long and the person will have to be monitored through physical exams and blood tests. I hope that your friend feels better soon.