Hi, I have a friend who is an alcoholic. I have tried to help him quit but without success. He says that he can't give up the booze because it will kill him. There is no way for me to convince him that the alcohol is really killing him and that by quitting he will improve the quality of his life. He red somewhere that there were cases of alcohol related delirium and that the patients who tried to give up drinking actually died because of that. Can you please give me some facts about this type of delirium, so that I can convince him that he is wrong about it?

Hi, I am sorry to say that your friend is absolutely right. Alcohol related delirium can cause death of patients who precipitously stopped drinking. This is a very serious condition that can cause anxiety, agitation, rapid mood changes, hallucinations, cardiac arrhythmia and many other complications. However alcohol related delirium is not only connected with the process of alcohol withdrawal. You can tell your friend that the excessive use of alcohol can also cause delirium because of the toxic effect that alcohol has on the brain. The best thing that he can do for his health is to talk to a specialist who will prepare him for the withdrawal period.

If ur friend is an Alcoholic and really wants to stop drinking he should see a doctor and get heavy downers or Barbs for at least 10 days.The DT's usually start about 24 to 36 hours after stopping drinking and can last about 3 to 4 days. Yeah all kinds of Hallucinations both visual and auditorycan occur and yes a person could die if not medicated properly. i have had the DT's a few times and its all over usually after 4 days. I'm off the demon drink 22 years in December 12. Just get ur friend to go to a good Doctor who recognises Alcoholism as the disease it is and follow his advice re alcoholics annomymous.