My husband is 55 years old and he has drinking problems. Last time he was drunk he had an injury and he had to go to a hospital. During the time spend in the hospital delirium has occur because of decreased level of alcohol in the blood. At least, that is what I have heard from the doctors. Can you tell me something more about alcohol withdrawal effect-delirium?

I had a drinking problem myself. During some business trip in mid east I had the same symptoms because I could not found any alcohol in Islamic countries. It was very difficult and I had a problem by explaining my boss why I had to go to hospital. Some of my colleagues told me about my behavior during the seizure. I was shaky, sweaty and delusional. If there was no help from the doctors and my colleagues I would probably be dead. So help your husband the best you can.

OK, I'm 57 & have drank all my life since teens. Never missed a day drinking period. Always worked out & ate healthy so no apparent signs of drinking. Typical would be a 6-pak in evening with a couple glasses of wine or 3-4 shots of bourbon or vodka.

Social anxiety issues became very severe and for whatever reason I suddenly stopped drinking 2-months ago cold turkey. I was sick & tired of being sick & tired and drinking more than anyone knew I was drinking [I could drink a beer in 3-4 seconds while grabbing another or simply chug a 6-oz glass of wine while cooking & pouring myself & wife a regular small glass of wine.

Anyway, felt pretty damn bad off & on the first month - actually quite miserable. Very shaky, sweaty, rapid heart beat & extremely tired at night, but could stay up as late as I wanted to without passing out. I also had a very "heavy" feeling of depression that was almost unbearable & my only relief was to go to sleep on those days.

Now its been almost 2-months. The days of feeling completely miserable and depressed are fewer and I lie awake prior to going to sleep instead of simply passing out. I am enjoying food much more and rethinking the rest of my life. Wierd thing is after awhile of not having alcohol you really don't miss it [at least I don't]. For years I always thought "how can I stop? Well I can't & I'm resigned to being an alcoholic & I'll make the best of it". I believed that sh*t all those years & thought I could not quit -period. Well here I am 2-months later & don;t even want a drinkn or think about having a drink. Friends try to push drinks on me when we get together & I simply tell them "No thanks I'm fine" & deal with the wierd looks.

I don't care what anybody else says or give a sh*t - if I can stop drinking then I believe anyone can. Believe me any crazy stories you can come up with I can beat. Full of liquid courage there is almost nothing I haven't done at one time or another.