Hello All,

My wife is an alcoholic who is usually able to last all day sober, before she needs a six pack in the evening before bed.

Since before Christmas, she has been drinking steadily through the days. She drank a lot last night but felt she needed more and more before she fell asleep. She woke up today and starting drinking again. The symptoms she has are:

a) Feels that her heart is shaking;
b) Sore arm, for which she uses a cold towel to comfort;
c) Scared, nervous; and
d) Desire for more alcohol as she thinks she's in withdrawal.

However, I think she actually has poisoning. She couldn't be in withdrawal, because she's had alcohol all day and last night.

How can I help her?, I believe if she quickly has more alcohol, she will get feeling worse than better. Thanks for your help.

You’re right – she can’t be in withdrawal since she has been drinking. But, unless she drank a lot more without you knowing or that she drank something a lot stronger than normally, chances are she doesn’t have alcohol poisoning either. Alcohol poisoning is acute symptom that happens when someone drinks too much and it causes vomiting, troubles breathing and passing out. This of course doesn’t mean your wife should drink more because than it might get to the point of poisoning.
Problem with alcoholism as is with many addictions is that tolerance builds up so the same amount of drink isn’t enough. Than that causes irritability and strong need or compulsion to drink more. I think that is what’s going on now.
And keep in mind that withdrawal symptoms are nausea, sweating and shaking.

she will withdrawl when she stops...it is dangerous to cut it off.  most alcoholics like myself have a strong desire to keep it going the next morning to avoid withdrawl...I was prescribed ativan to help my withdrawls, it is a calming effect but also addictive because you sleep well and feel so much better, meaning its time to drink again.  I also take antabuse, which is the pill that make you sick if you drink.  I have a 4 day cycle where I can go without alcohol for about 4 days until the urge is too much, so at day 4 and 5 I take an antabuse to assure I will not drink or I will be very very sick.  The simple fact is YOU have to want to stop, there is no magic pill really.  although, when I had ativan,  I gave some out to my most alcoholic friends and they really felt better too.

Thank you for your answers. Much appreciated.

My husband drinks about a six pack of beer on a daily basis and more on the weekends. He accused me of giving him food poison by fixing him fried eggs, hash browns and two pieces of bacon and one piece of toast. Now these are eggs from my chickens and they are at tops three weeks old if that because I sell them on a regular basis. He said that he felt sick at about lunch time and had to use the bathroom and felt nausea BUT when he drank a BEER it all went away. Now how can this be food poison? I argued this point with him over dinner but it was a lost cause. I was not going to win on this subject so it was quickly dropped by me since I was the designated driver that evening. I didn't want a fight. So can you please give me some answers. Thank you so much.