Hi, my grandpa forgets all the time, my mother believes it’s normal for elder people to have dementia. But, I believe it is some progressive disease like Alzheimer’s. What is the difference between dementia and Alzheimer’s disease?

Hi, both dementia and Alzheimer’s disease are characterized by mental deterioration with disorientation, memory disturbance and confusion. This leads to inability to perform daily activities. Dementia can develop as a result of infection, strokes, head injuries, abuse of drugs and nutritional deficiencies. Also Parkinsons disease, Huntingtons disease, brain tumors can produce dementia. However, Alzheimers disease stays the most common cause of dementia.Abnormal protein deposits in the brain destroy cells that control memory and mental functions, leading to damage of memory and thinking process. Dementia is a symptom, and Alzheimer’s is a disease.