Hello! My grandfather has dementia and it is hard to me to take conversation with him. I do not know how to talk with him, when he loses his memory and cannot remember what happened yesterday. Can you suggest some activities for elderly with dementia which may improve his condition? Thank you!

Hello! As you probably already know dementia is progressive illness. But you can slow this progressive condition. It is recommended to talk with your grandfather, make him laugh, to sing together, show him pictures and talk about past, paint, etc. All of these mentioned activities will help him. hope this helps you!

Hello my name is Jessica

I have been working with dementia for awhile now. I have done it with my mom for about 10 years now. When talking to your grandfather try to find something that he used to do and turn it in to an activity. Take fishing, you can go down to the dallor store and get a fishing set like you would for a child and pretend you guys are fishing. You can also find a way to have him write down or even draw out how he is feeling. Maybe have him help with something around the house too. You just have to remember what he used to do and how he did things. Sit down and have him tell you about his life and what he used to do. Its alot of fun but it takes a big heart to do so.
If you have any other questions just let me know

thank you
Jessica

i work with elderly people with dementia, at the moment we are making up memory boxes, these are individual boxes that contain items either personal or an item to jog a person's memory(photos, model cars, wool), how about building up a memory box for your grandfther. Collect together objects that would jog his memory about his earlier life such as school days, employment and hobbies. good luck.

Activity of daily living. This is the key to dementia you learn just like you learn with a new born we they are hungry when they hurt etc what do they do on a daily basis. Talk to your father if he remembers the past better talk about that it will help him remember family friends. You and him make a Photo album Label all the picture with post it notes underneath of them about what is going on in the picture and who is in the picture. He might be able to tell you what is going on. Then keep it out so he can look at it in his private time this has been help full with many of my residents. Keep loves one coming around regurly this will help him to see the same family and friends on a daily routine.

I work with residents who have alzheimer's and dementia, using Memory Jogging Puzzles and Match Games. Norman Rockwell's storytelling themes make it easy to engage patient in conversation.

One-on-One is best for watching and listening to expressions and frustrations.

What works works for me is laying the activity (wood puzzle with 6 pieces together) in front of them and talking about the picture, then asking if he would help you put the puzzle together and start to break the pieces apart.

Don't rush him, let him take his time if he struggles, don't say "no, not there" but gently guide him. He doesn't want to make a mistake and this makes him more cautious.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have not cared a dementia person, but know something about it, I am sharing some information regarding dementia persons like Alzheimer's.

Dementia is responsible for decline in a person’s mental functioning, that can result into loss of memory, social skills, and emotional reactions. "Dementia" term used to explain the situations in which the brain cells of the person is get damaged over time and it slows , down the proper functioning of the brain. Try to treat your grandfather normally, don't realize them they are suffered from a disease and support them and help him in their daily activities.

It will help you.

Hello Trudey, My heart goes out to you as I had this same problem with my Dad and Mother. I used to give my parents a balloon and we would have turns in tossing it to each other, this only works for a short time but was something they could do. Reading to them was also something I would do but more often than not they drifted off to sleep. I used to do hand and foot massage (foot spa's work well) - just to get a smile from them is priceless. hope this helps. God Bless

Hi Jessica,

Good to know that you are helping your mother, May God give you lots of courage and successes in your life ahead.

I am posting this very 1st time on the net and shearing with some on I dont know. My mother got Dementia problem too, she seems 40 % affected as per the studies I read on net. My father passed away on 14th Jan, 2012 and left us wth so many worries. I would be seeking easy steps how to take care my mother in such a critical time. Let me know if we can talk on this more or you can spare some time writing on this ?

Many thanks and God bless you. Imran from Pakistan

HI, I work at a church and Direct a Senior Citizen Program.....I have been doing this for nearly 5 years. Also, I lost my mother 3 years ago to liver failure; which memory and activity becomes an issue. My great aunt died at 89 and also had dementia. I watched my mother become frustrated trying to keep her aunt busy. I gave her a basket of hand towels and washrags and asked if she wanted to help. She folded them and then 2 times I unfolded them in the next room and brought them back, remarking that WE SURE GO THROUGH alot of these things. After 3 times she was weary, but satisfied for being useful.

Many people feel a loss of something and go through the grieving process. CHOICES are the only thing they can control.....give them choices....simple ones.....sympathise that you need their input and physical participation.....Keep in mind the attention span of a toddler.....if they go missing......look EVERYWHERE in the house. If they get confused....they regress....

A client of mine called and asked for prayer: I prayed with her, because her mother was missing.... The police were looking for her and it was very cold out. The care giver left for a short period to go down the block. Upon returning, the mother was nowhere and the police and phone chain were activated. I said that Alzheimers causes regression and to make sure to look ALL over the house.....They found her crouched down in the attic, scared and confused....

Over the years, I use art therapy for my clients and myself.....Also use any respite care available; such as public programs at churches and community centers. Utilize the free service for the mobile library for the disabled and homebound. Have them get sunshine daily and fresh air.....Walk and talk. Recently, we went on a fieldtrip to a wagon safari and it was awesome. I probably could go on and on....Picture matching games for younger children have also been useful. MY clients are aging and their bodies are declining, but GOD only promises the here and now; so just be involved and LOVE them. :)

I am 1 of 4 children, aged 46 with a almost 11 year old daughter with Aspberger Syndrome......Research other disorders to get yourself stimulated as well and rest when you can...GOD BLESS

Donna

I just tried this with my dad who is 94. He is healthy as a horse but his mind has failed him horribly. The memory box is a great idea and helps start conversation when you just don't know what to say. When I first started asking about the items in the box I got no response or very little. but it wasn't long before he was connecting the small thoughts and telling me the full story. I haven't had a conversation like that with my dad in a long long time. I will continue to to work at this and other things in these posts. Thank you for helping me realize that my dad is more that just a shell of a man that I only say hi and bye to. I love my Dad.

A fun workbook which will engage persons independently with late stage neurological problems. Available at Amazon.

Doodling for Seniors - $4.99 Daily Worksheets for Seniors - $4.99