Hello, My mother suffers from Alzheimer’s and I want to know something about Namenda. Does anyone has any experience on this subject?

Hi, my father suffers from this condition too. Namenda may reduce the actions of the chemical glutamate at certain receptors in the brain. It has somewhat helped my father, but nothing miraculous. This medicine may cause fainting. That is what I know about this medicine. But consult your father’s doctor about it. I know that Namenda overdose may cause halucinations so it must be used with caution.

My brother was diagnosed with cardio-vascular dementia (an alzheimer look alike condition, but different). His son-in-law thought he had Alzheimer so had him placed on Namenda. The only benefit I could see was that he was less hostile - but immediately stopped eating and became weak on it. He passed away a month ago from Starvation , and supposedly Alzheimer. This is hard to believe as his memory was quite in tact right until the end - with a lot of confusion, hallucinations, etc. When I took him to his neurologist - this doctor advised me to take him off the AZ drugs but his son-in-law insisted on them. The reason the neurologist wanted him off was because he would not eat and was becoming weak on it. For some reason, the primary went along with the son-in-law - who is not even on his medical POA like I am. So, I think you need to be aware of possible gastro problems.

My mother was prescribed Namenda, with titrated pills, she became increasingly confused at 15 mg, the doctor said go back to 10 mg and greater confusion occurred. Currently she has stopped taking any and the mental confusion and insomnia has increased. There is very little info on namenda withdrawal.

I am on the lowest dosage. So I am not suffering more side effects with this drug. There are two types of dosages 5mg and 10mg available. You can find them at

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

My father was put on the generic of Namenda (memantine) and did not tolerate it well at all. He took 5 mg twice daily and then had one day of 10mg. He has Parkinsons with minor short term memory issues. He was originally on Aricept but was changed about an month ago due to some constipation attributed to the Aricept. Since he begain the memantine he has been hospitalized twice for hallucination, confusion, and total unresponsiveness. He is typically a very healthy man and the memory issues were mild. We are now in the hospital waiting for the medicine to get out of his system. Needless to say, he's not taking it anymore.