Hi, my name is Kristin. I have a question about my dementia. In 2004 I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder (resolved now), hypothyroidism, MRSA Staph and mini-strokes from migraines of the basal artery. I had a neuropsych evaluation done in 2005 that said my dementia was from PTSD and organic brain disease. In 2008 another neuropsych evaluation was done and it said progressive dementia of unknown organic brain disease. There was a major decrease of function in the second evaluation. Currently, I have been having more problems mainly with not being able to understand or remember what I am reading. So I am now being currently going to my third neuropsych evaluation. So far I was told that there is worsening of the memory, processing speed and frontal looping (whatever that is). I haven't got the results yet though. I have also had several traumas with a history of off and on depression and PTSD with those traumas. But it has been years now since any traumas or problems in life have happened. That is my history.

My question is whether or not I could have psuedo dementia even though no one had diagnosed me with that. I am hoping that it is the answer cause I don't like this one. Can pseudodementia be progressive? Can you have pseudodementia for 7 years? I have been in counseling but nothing helps and the doctors aren't helping either and keep sending me to psychiatry for the Aricept and Namenda medicine.

Anyway, thanks if someone can answer my questions.

Oh, I am 41 years old and the doctors kept calling it Alzheimer's but I am way too young to have that one and it doesn't say that on my neuropsych tests, so I think they are wrong. Maybe the mini-strokes caused it but there is nothing on the MRIs just the basal artery insufficiency on the MRA test. It seems to be stable and then gets worse, stable then worse again. It is slow though so that is good.

Thank you again, Kristin

Pseudodementia means that depression or some other mental disorder that lasted for a long time has caused changes in mental functions that are similar to the ones in dementia. So, pseudodementia should get better when the first disorder, in your case major depression, is treated and cured. But, tests you have done have shown that there is physical cause for your dementia – those mini-strokes that damaged the brain, so that is why they ruled out pseudodementia.
Frontal loop is a name for describing all functions that are controlled by frontal part of the brain at once, for example distraction or difficulties with understanding.