I have a seven year old child in elementary school, and he's not doing too good with reading and writing. Before he started school, he knew the alphabet relatively well and could read simple books with no problem at all, even out loud. Since he started school it has been a downhill battle. He refuses to read, and writing is a catastrophe. What do you think I need to say to his teacher about this? I am sure he doesn't like the situation anymore than we do!

I am so sorry to hear about your son and his reading and writing issues. Could it be that he is dyslectic and that his teacher or teachers are not picking up on this? By pushing him, and taking a punishment attitude towards his lack of achievements, they might be shattering his self confidence and creating more long term problems than there were to begin with. Please have your son evaluated, so he can receive the proper support if he does have dyslexia.