Hi, I have an eight year old son. His school teacher says she thinks he might be dislexic. This would explain why he is doing so badly at school when it is obvious he is such a smart boy. I was wondering what I should do now. Will my child be able to go to regular school or will he need special attention? Is there some way my husband and I could help our son with the dislexia?

Hi, it is a great thing that your son's teacher noticed that he has a problem. The teachers usually tend to think that children with dyslexia are lazy and give them lower marks than they actually don’t deserve. Dyslexia is a condition that causes trouble with reading and writing. The child affected with dyslexia actually has a neurological problem. His brain doesn't work properly when it comes to understanding letters. This is manifested through reading and writing difficulties. First thing you should do for your son is to take him to a specialist who will assess his condition. If it turns out your son is indeed dyslexic you can start to work to help him overcome the problem. Dyslexia cannot be cured, but a person can be taught to deal with the situation. This is achieved through special training and tutorial programs. Your son will be able to go to normal school and follow the program once he learns to coup with dyslexia boundaries.

My child is going on 8, she is still in the first grade and continues to have trouble with reading. Recently she was writing and wrote kool. then argued with the other children that she had written look. she never once doubted that she had written look and continued to argue about it. At school I have had multiple meetings with her teacher, who says that she refuses to believe that there is anything wrong with her, and that she just needs to learn that she is in first grade and not kindergarton. After 4 of these conferences, the thought of homeschooling has been a common one. I know that most testing of this sort is usually refered through the school, but I would just like to know. Firstly should I bee concerned, then what type of physician does the testing for dislexia, and really what should I look for as clues for diagnosing this disorder?

Concerned parent, frustrated