My 14 year old daughter is really driving me crazy...a big attitude change all of a sudden. She is a straight A student, but is suddenly into make-up, hair highlights..etc. Her teachers tell me they notice a big attitude change, not so much verbally, but body language, like she has put a wall...we have noticed this at home.. Anyone with experience on this subject? She just thinks we are stupid parents picking on her. HELP!

Hi there.

Yes, that is how the teenagers are like and it is nothing unusual. I have one at my house and I can also say that he is driving me crazy. I believed that only girls are like this, but no. When I don't want to give something to him, he is screaming through the house, he is striking the doors, etc. So, I think that we all do experience this change of the behavior and that is why we all are wondering how to deal with teenagers. Look, first, you need to know that you are doing nothing wrong. I can tell you what am I doing - I am talking to him and sometimes, I put him under the punishment, telling him that he won't go out with his friends if he refuses obedience. He is ashamed because he believes that I am going to tell his friends that is punished and this would be really embarrassing for him. Try this, try to develop some tactic. Good luck. 

Don't tell me they do not stay young and sweet forever. I am in denial.

oh God! you just wait! Your kids are so sweet and cute now(by the pics they are!)m but when the hormones kick in, watch out!

Show them that you care, but stand fast for what you believe in. At 14, they're only beginning to act up.

That was some her teachers suggestions-they say she is experimenting with who she is, that we should let her experiement within our limits---but I find out that the baggy sweatshirt she wears to school is taken off to reveal a belly revealing shirt!

We've been through this 3 times. Right now, what you're saying all sounds incredibly normal to me. Keep talking to her, let her experiment a little (within your bounds, but be willing to listen and bend a little), and as long as her grades stay up, don't worry!

My son changed very gradually, but with the girls it seemed as though it was overnight. Like someone flipped a switch on their backs. My nieces did the same thing. I'm pretty sure it is normal.

And oh by the way, my youngest is now 18, and everything turned out great.

Well, do you remember being that age and rebelling at all? I know it's easy for me to ask this because I don't have kids, but what would have worked on you at that stage? Will that help maybe?

Her hormones are raging and she is in a exhibitionist streak.Look at me look what I have.

Stories like this keep me hopeful! But man oh man, every day is struggle!

The thing is, my husand and I were brought up totally opposite...my parents never questioned me, always let me do what I wanted to do, were never involved with my life(they were both alcoholics) but I was very conservative, and never did anything bad....my husband's parents were very protective, and every chance his brothers and sisters got to rebel, they did(several were in for drug rehab and anorexia), so we come from total different back grounds, I say to loosen up,and he's all over her for everything...there has to be a happy medium some where.......and for Brittney Spears....I could kill her right now!