Hi. My child is suffering from epilepsy. I think it really affects his ability to learn. Sometimes he refuses to go to the school. I think other children are avoiding him. What to do? Is there anybody who could tell me something about epilepsy in school children?

Hi. My daughter is an epileptic. Seizures are interfering with her ability to learn definitely. I think teachers should observe such children and report every episode of a seizure to school nurse. And to me too, of course. I told her teacher about her condition, effects and side effects of med. I also told him and the school staff all about what to do when the seizure occurs. Brain changes can cause hearing and perception problems. So, when your child is an epileptic, the best way is to notify the school staff about the condition. In that case they will be able to monitor the child. If they notice a change in his skills, they will tell it to your child`s doctor. Children must cope with their condition. It can be very hard for a child when a seizure occurs in school, among other children.