Hello! My mother has just told me that we expect a visit of her friend. They haven’t seen each other for many years. Her friend has a child who is autistic. I have never seen an autistic child before. I think I am little bit afraid of them. I don’t even know how autistic children look like. Are autistic children violent?

Hello! You shouldn’t be afraid of autistic children. Such children are just special but they are not violent. Sometimes they perform repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping but sometimes they don’t. If you treat him as any other child you will se they can be very interesting to communicate with.

I think it is important for parents to limit video game violence.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

My little brother is autistic - he is the closest thing I can imagine to an angel on earth - literally. They are extremely interesting, intelligent, and kind. My brother is a music prodigy and has always amazed me. He has never scared me, only made my eyes water watching him explore and learn in his own way. You are in for a treat! :-)

My little sister is autistic and i feel the same way about her as KerriLoo does for his/her brother...Autistic children are angels i agree but they can turn violent only of they are provoked. My sister rocks back and forth whenver she is angry. Treating them as any other child is wrong because they need extra care since they cant depict thier feelings. But only REMEMBER not to provoke an autistic child. Just be sweet with them dont shout or scream in front of them since they get hyper. Keep your tone low and there will be no problem at all

I have Aspergers Syndrome, and I say that no we're not violent, I know a few others that have just "Autism" and they're really nice :-)

Why don't you try and do some research before the visit; Autistic childres do not look any different than any other children and to be a little bit afraid of them is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Why would you even put something like that so other people can read?

I stumbled across this site when doing some reasearch on autism and special needs, and it caught my eye that a person was fearful of an autistic child coming to visit. I actually don't take the time to post responses to comments, but was shocked to see your reply to someone who genuinely needed some helpful reassurance .........I am a mom of a special needs child, & before I started staying home with my three children, I was a preschool teacher. I have always been around children with many different abilities, talents, and challenges since I was a child myself and throughout my teaching career. Unless you are used to being around children in general or work with children in a professional environment, it can be intimidating, whether or not a child has a special need. It took a lot of courage for this person to admit his/her fears and to ask for help. This person was not saying that children with autism are generally violent in nature; he/she was asking if autistic children are violent and wanted to know what to be prepared for. The fact that you even had the willingness to use name-calling in your reply reflects your unprofessionalism and insensitivity to people wanting to learn more. The worst thing to do to eliminate ignorance is to use hurtful remarks. Ignorance does not mean stupidity; it means not knowing. The only way we can educate people and expect them to be sensitive toward our family members is to inform in a welcoming manner.

Most of the writers have a valid point about them being interesting people. Autistic children and adults can be verbally or physically violent if they feel anxious, trapped and out of control. People with autisum have different personalities. Sometimes they can seem with drawn some times the behaviour can be loud and aggressive. Often Autism comes with other disabilities, for example ADD, ADHd, Dyslexia or  Dyspraxia this can mask the autism. social interaction becomes miss understood which leads to frustration. The autistic person can be vulnerable because their priority is self and self preservation. So their defence to perceived attack can be excessive. Leading to violent meltdowns.  

your post has been very helpful for me. I was wondering if you could elaborate even more. my best friends son has autism and ADHD. He is 11 years old. we are neighbors, therefore, we spend a lot of time together. I have a 4 and 6 year old. he just had a aggressive episode at our home. I have to be honest it frightened me but only for the safety of my own children. had his parents not been RIGHT there, I don't know what would have happened. I love their son like he is my own and I will not walk away from them. I also plan on speaking openly and honestly with my friend but haven't had a chance to yet. Any sights you can recommend? I am seeing a lot of sights for the younger child with autism but not for the older child. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

I don't think austistic children are violent. 

They may misbehave and do something violent or aggressive, but that's only becuase they rare not aware that action is not acceptable. 

But I'm autistic, and I'm violent. I did not draw it from video games, tv, movies or images. I think it's as natural as my autism. I'm just not some kind of id**t and I have learned not to be violent whenever i wanted to. 

nope i have autism (high functionning) were not "violent" but sometimes we react with spinning uncontrollably or rocking back and forth and sometimes we pretend were ducks and try to fly lol by flapping our arms