Hello. I'm 29 year old male and I have some very important questions. You see, about three months my only son has been diagnosed with one behavior abnormality called ADHD! I really don’t know a lot about this but I know that the initiative came from his teachers in school and school psychiatrist. He couldn’t focus on studding or listening what his teachers were telling him.
Anyway, his doctor prescribed him some medications which we are giving him for these last three months! Yesterday I have read an article in which says that in most cases these kids with ADD and ADHD are in most cases overmedicated. What does this mean? Should we stop giving him these medications?

Hello. I have just read your post and decided to write you immediately before you do some damage to your child.
What ever you do- you shouldn’t stop with your child’s treatment. He needs those medications and stopping could only do more damage!
Article that you’ve read is probably talking about long-term medications for children. It is true that when we teach our children at a young age to rely on medications, we could be making a generation of pill users. He shouldn’t use his medications longer then prescribed and after it- there are some alternative treatments. The symptoms of ADD can be controlled through Biofeedback system- computer images and sounds that show what's going on in the brain

I have done plenty of research about this topic. If the pills are taken properly and at the right dosage the child should be fine. No matter what though there are usually side effects that come along with the pills such as sleeplessness or weight loss. Sometimes other problems can happen, like a child can experience depression, sometimes the doctor will out the child on pills for that too. I personally think that a child could just be experiencing personal problems. Maybe the class isn't interesting enough for him. The topics could be "boring." Teachers are to urgent to jump the gun when a child causes the too many problems in a class. And stopping would not cause the child damage. Most children though that are diagnosed with ADHD usually will grow out of it by their 20's.

I will have to desagree with geraldine....thing is, we don't know too much about what medication does to a person's brain, and going even further into that, we do not know the long term effects of medication, so most people would probably be BETTER OFF if they didn't take medication. As far as the over diagnosing.....basically it is just talking about how children and people in general are being prescribed medication and announced as having ADHD when really its not....some of the ridiculousness comes to the point where doctors are prescribing medication to children as young as 2!!!!....the usual symptoms of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, but tell me, what 2 year old is not at least one of these....the thing is medication is only a short term thing...in other words, it will only decrease the symptoms for the time that the drug is in effect....you cannot cure ADHD with medication....some doctors have said that ADHD cures with age, but one of the most effective ways to treat ADHD is using a natural treatment such as meditation, or life re organization, or just different parenting....glad that I could help...

Well I have read little about this condition and found out that there are many drugs used to treat this condition. But also we have psychological therapies that are used to help children with ADHD. These therapies include behavior therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT), family therapy, school-based interventions, social skills training and parent management training. SO you have several options for treating this condition, and i agree with Juanjohnguy, that not everything is in medication. Many things we can menage in other ways. Hope that your son will be fine.

i also have a son who is now 17 and has been on diffrent meds since he was 5 yrs old but he felt that it was not for him so he stoped taking it all together that was five years ago .and now he's just out of control he see's the change over the years from okay to wanting to exploed . ive taking him back to the doctor bucause we as a family can't control this behavior. sined :( from tx concered mom and loved ones. :?