:-) I saw an ad about neurobiofeedback therapy successfully treating children with ADD. It sounded hopeful, so we are checking into it and thinking about giving it a try.

Our 10 yr old daughter has been having trouble with her school work. She has difficultly concentrating and focusing and is easily distracted. She is prone to emotional outbursts, nightmares and sleepwalking. Starting in 2nd grade, her teacher asked us if we had considered that she might have ADD. In fourth grade, her teacher considered her for special ed and we had the school therapist evaluate her and she concluded that she was showing all the signs of a child with ADHD. We consulted a traditional therapist and she told us that the most effective way to help her was to put her on medication. We did not want to do this, but we did want to make life better for her and for us.

Then I saw this ad from a holistic center who specializes in neurobiofeedback. We went in for a consultation and scheduled to have a brain mapping done. We got the results back this week and guess what.....the Dr. says that she DOES NOT have ADD! He said that she has emotional instability along with mild anxiety and depression. These things can cause lack of concentration and focus which are usually associated as being ADD!

He went on to tell us that they can resolve her problems with 30 sessions (20 minutes each, 2 - 3 x's per wk). The treatment will cost $3000 (if paid in advance) and insurance doesn't cover it. He said that the treatment is highly effictive with an extremely high success rate.

We are desperate to help our daughter do better in school and make life easier for her (and us). With $3000 on the line plus the gas and drive time (the clinic is 60 miles from our house), I wanted to get some more feedback from people who have tried this type of therapy (for their kids) and whether or not it was sucessful.

So if your child has, or is going through, neurobiofeedback therapy, please post your experience.

THANKS!!

If your are interested in neurofeedback, you can find more info at:

eegspectrum.com/

I have a 10 year old son with basically the same story. and thinking about Neurofeedback. IDid you try neurofeedback, yet? If so please could you post the results? I would appreciate it.

I have a 9 year old boy and his story is almost identical with your daughter's. I am also researching neurofeedback.
Have you done neurofeedback with your daughter in the meantime?
Do you have any advice for me?
Thanks

No, we haven't tried it yet. I took her to Sylvan and had an evaluation done and they graded her at 1 year behind in math and 2 years behind in reading. To get her up to school grade level would cost over $10K though Sylvan. I am still trying to convince my husband to give the biofeedback a try this summer. I am hoping to convince him that it is worth a try. If we do it, I will try to remember to post back and let you know if it seemed to help her, although, we wouldn't really know until after school started to see if we are able to see a profound difference in her school performance.

LeAnn

I've haven't tried it either on the neurobiofeedback therapy on my daughter but I've heard it already on the neuro therapy for ADD ADHD children. I've got a daughter with an adhd. For now we've been doing therapy and counseling for a month now and got to think it have a good result. They say it is a long process on doing therapy and counseling but get to see the result.

My son went 1 year to counseling and social skills group. He understands it, but using it is another issue. Frequently his impulsivity and his emotions get in his way. Basically it was a big investment with time and money and the rewards seem very low. We are going to Neurofeedback (NFB) since June. So far he has 20 sessions and about 20-30 more are necessary. I do see some improvement but it still needs to get better. Now I don't have to hoover all the time over him when he does homework, which is a huge relieve for me.
There are many, many different techniques of NFB out. They use different hardware/software/methods and it even makes a difference if they treat only with eyes closed/open or both. I did a lot of research before I committed to NFB. Average cost is $5,000. My insurance covers most of it. I interviewed several doctors. There are a couple good doctors out there, but there are also many who are not worth their money. Be careful with the ones who advertise the most. I also would be careful, if a nurse runs the NFB. Our doctor monitors the whole session and adjust the session as it goes on.
I noticed that if my son eats only carbs for breakfast/lunch/dinner his condition gets worse. Also when he does not have enough sleep. 1 capsule of 5HTP with only 10mg (HTP 10) before he goes to school and before he does homework helps him. For some kids additionally PS (Phospatidylserine) helps, but it does not work with my son. PS works best together with Omega 3.
Hope that helps.

I tend to agree, I think that it is a good idea to go the counseling route. I would like to hear on some people's experiences with neurofeedback too though. Does anyone else have experience there?

I had my son go through biofeedback a few years ago because his ADHD symptoms were increasing and he did not want to increase his medicine. He was 10 and only taking 10mg of Focalin. After two-weeks, twice-a-week, homework and listening skills where improving. After a month-and-a-half, we where able to decrease medication to 5mg extended release. Our insurance covered the cost of treatment. Even with results, many times children will need retraining sessions after a year or two. I would encourage any parent to try biofeedback because it is completely invasive.