I'm in 8th grade right now, and with the current problems children are facing (and adults) with weight, nutrition, getting enough excercise, and an overall healthy lifestyle, i can't help but wonder why public schools don't make this a high priority....
I really think it's nessacary for public schools to make junk food obsolete at the cafeterias, because if it's there, people are going to go for it...after all, who can't say a candy bar or fresh, doughy, mouthwatering cookie is more apealling than a bruised orange hidden away behind sugary canned fruit cocktail that looks like it's weeks beyond the experation date?
in fact, it's pathetic that students aren't taught (other than a week a year in health class) not to have a diet of chips, soda, pizza, ect. who needs to learn about body systems in health class when it's taught in science and biology later (okay, i admit, i read the high school and college biology books out of boredom, or else i wouldn't know this sort of stuff)!? Can't health class be about a student's personal health and obtaining the imformation on a healthy lifestyle instead? what's the point of preparing students for the "real world" if they aren't going to live very well in it?
and what scares me most is that the majority of students i know don't regularly exercise! Other than a few minute of running...and whacking a ball or putting it through a hoop in PE
I don't know anyone who is concerned with what they eat...not that i'm a heath nut, but i use my brain when making choices involving my health...
i could go on a few more hours about what i think, but i'd like to hear what parents, students, and all the rest have to say :wavey:
thanks...

Nothing at all wrong with sounding serious, kiddo... but don't be gulled by some of these guys into thinking you have to be serious all the time to be taken as mature and smart and worthwhile. There is a time and a place for serious and a time and a place for fun! If you want to be serious, this is the forum for it.

Your concern is valid, smart, and very real. I agree 100%. It astounds me that real health, nutrition, portion sizes that the body REALLY needs to live on, and moderation/variety are not covered in the health classes at public school.

Another subject I cannot believe is not covered is basic finances. What's credit, why is it necessary, how easy it is to mess it up or lose it, and how to take care of personal finances from balancing a checking account to moderate spending & paying bills FIRST.

My wife is a grade 6,7 & 8 music teacher in a suburb of Toronto. Her school board just passed a bill last year banning the selling of all "junk" foods in school cafeterias. Granted, the school board has to make a judgement about what gets put on the junk food list but it seems to include things like: soda, sports drinks, candy, candy bars, potato chips etc... I thought that was a fantastic step in the right direction.

Next year the province of Ontario is mandating that all junior schools (grades K through 8) have a minimum of 20 minutes of PE every day. Who says government can't have a positive impact.... (I know, its still rare).

My good friend is a pediatric dietician and deals with pediatric obesity all day. I think you hit the nail on the head youngrunner, kids will choose the tastier choice, (cookies, sodas, candy, pizza) whether its nutritionally void or not. Its a real problem in US schools. I think (but am not entirely sure) that it has a lot to do with funding for schools.

Who says parents can't have the same positive impact? The govt. is not the solution to every ill in society.

At my kid's schools, soda is not sold nor is it allowed to be brought in for lunches.

We pack our kid's lunches and so we know what they are eating. Now if they are trading, I am not sure.

Unfortunately parents can't be in control of every decision their kids are faced with. I think its good when the government can help support what the parents are (should be) teaching in the home.

I think kids should have PE every day.

I agree. Phys. ed. is pretty much a joke in schools any more. Over half the kids I had on my baseball team last year were lard butts. And these are kids who consider themselves athletes apparently. Several of them would get totally gassed running from home plate to second base.

if more youngpeople had youngrunner's attitude, there wouldn't really be an obesity problem. good thinking yr, really.

i believe the schools are starting to do what they can. our highschool has taken all junk out of vending machines (there are tons of vending machines) and now it's just water, propel, or gatorade. the highschool also has a 5 day/week phys ed program that is very aerobic. unfortunately, the PE program becomes an elective in 11th grade :x

the elementary school is trying to make cafeteria changes too. no more potato chips and doritos in the lunch lines, they really push the "healthy living" "heart smart" programs in PE, for what it's worth (probably not much for most kids)

best option is to pack your lunch instead of going thru that tempting carbo-blast of a lunch line. my son has never, in 11 years of school, bought a cafeteria lunch. i'm a lunch packin' foool.

i really believe this starts at home though. parents set the best example of a healthy lifestyle. we can not expect the schools to change lifelong bad eating and exercise habits overnight. it's a HUGE problem that took more than a few years to develop and finally manifest itself in stuff like heart disease in college kids and type 2 diabetes in preteens.

another thing that irks me is television advertising and kids -- going straight for their hearts with stuff like FruitLoops, Oreo Cookies, c**p, c**p, c**p, and more c**p. we've polluted their little systems in the name of making a profit. this, i believe, is another root of the evil.

schools can and will do more as this saga unfolds, and as the media blasts away with stories of pediatric obesity but, as i said, kids do as they see at home. healthy habits need to be taught as soon as they're able to understand.

i'm glad you're on the right track yr!

Even if it's not in the cafeteria or vending machines, teachers at my daughter's school offer c**p all the time, as does the aftercare she attends, as does the summer camp she attends. Even an attentive parent has a hard time ensuring the kid eats what's good for her.

I read a whole article on this whole topic (I'll try to find it) and one section of it referenced the advertising of junk to kids. It mentioned that it is illegal to target advertising to anyone under 18 in several European countries and Austrialia, something that if for no other reason ETHICS should dictate shouldn't happen here.

Nutrition Action Healthletter editorial

Another one

Slightly unrelated but interesting NAH article on kids cuisine at restaurants and its role in childhood obesity

Great post, RR. :thumbsup:

Well said! :thumbsup:
I feel that way about P.E! Here's the typical schedule for my class:
1. get dressed out (who's going to break a sweat?!)
2. 10 jumping jacks (pathetic!)
3.streches ( do the excellent PE teaches KNOW that streching is of little significace? )
4. 25 sit-ups 8O ( what a workout!)
5. 2 minute run ( by then I am angry at the whole PE staff! I have no teachers to comfortably discuss this with,the joke of PE, because some coaches are obese, and others visably out of shape. How can I express my desires to make use of time? Tell them that this class is a waste of time? Most students only excersie during this class ( "ohhh, i don't need PE, i'm a POMMER! " <--walks most of the 2 minute runs )
The teacher of mine GLARES at me as I breeze past all of those joggers with ease. He has to have everything uniform...)
6. Saving the worse for last: PING PONG!!! Standing there, hitting a ball with a paddle really is a workout!

OH, AND TAKING TIME OFF OF OUR RUN IS A REWARD!!! iT'S LIKE SAYING RUNNING IS A PUNISHMENT?!
EXCESSIVE TALKING IS PUNISHABLE BY SQUAT-THRUST AND MORE RUNNING.
I'D MISHAVE IF I LACKED COMMON SENSE JUST TO PUNISH MYSELF WITH RUNNING :D
sorry, I have been holding this in for a long time since I learned the importance of nutrtion and the fun of exercise ( by that I mean running :pinklove: )
I also feel bad that this is kind of harsh. But it is important, you runners know firsthand. At least many know.