Hello.

I talked with my high school friend the other day. I haven’t seen him in about 15 years and just the other day I ran into him at the local hospital. Turns out he moved in my neighborhood with his wife and family.

I asked him what was he doing in the hospital and he told me that both he and his wife have some medical issues. He was diagnosed with endocarditis which is an inflammation of the inner layer of the heart and he also has an abscess on aorta.

What do you know about these conditions, are they serious?

Hi there Alan.

I am very sorry for your friend's condition. It really depends on case, since you haven’t told us (because probably you don’t know) the history of this disease in your friend. One of the guys that I know from the local bus had this problem and he was dealing with it for seven years.

He needed to go to the surgery and surgery was only solution in his case. Why surgery? Because it was complicated disease in this case.

I really hope that your friend will treat it with medications and that he is going to be fine.

Hey. I am diagnosed with endocarditis. I can talk about it. The doctor will diagnose it based on your risk factors, you medical history and some signs and symptoms that you are having. They will do some test and according to results, they will tell you do you have it or not. I don’t know that much about abscess on aorta because I was not dealing with it. But I know that sometimes dealing and treating the endocarditis can be very bad. I was at hospital several times because of it. If you ask me, it is serious. Good luck.

Hey everyone.

Sometimes abscess on aorta requires surgical treatment. Abscess on aorta in patients with aortic endocarditis is not uncommon at all. Aortic root abscess may cause persistent sepsis, heart failure, some abnormalities, fistula formation and it only can increase needs for the surgery. So as you can see, it can be very dangerous. Those conditions can be very unpredictable and no one from us can’t tell you what exactly can happen. I really hope that everything is going to be ok with your friend. As you can see there are some patients who didn’t have a lot of problems with it.

Hello from me again. The Big Z sorry, I don’t know a thing about his health condition since we haven’t heard from each other for too long. Probably 15 years or so. But now, we are trying to stay in touch.

But I can see from his attitude that this was not something that he had expected at all. He even told me himself that it all started developing too fast and before he knew, he was at the clinic and the doctor was giving him the diagnosis.

So I don’t think there is a lot of medical history behind all this.

Hey.

I believe that this is a disease that no one can expect and I am really sorry to hear this. My friend from childhood was also diagnosed with this and he was suffering a lot. He was spending a lot of days in the hospital, he did a lot of analyses and tests. He got bored so he stopped with analyses. He died three years after this.

This disease can be very hard but it is very important not to lose will for life. That is the only solution to get out of this situation.

I hope that he will be fine.

I hope that too. You scared me a bit with your story. I was always aware that this can be very serious but now when it’s happening to someone I know, I keep telling myself that it is not a big deal and that he will get through with it easily.

And what lifts my mood a lot is when I meet someone who has already been through that and when I see that they’re looking healthy and well.

A neighbor of mine (who I knew was sick, but never really knew what health issues she was dealing with) was in a similar position and she is doing great now.

I have experience with both of these. It was back when I was a teacher in an elementary school. I remember those kids, they were probably told by their parents that I am so sick that I’m going to die or something. I’m assuming that because their behavior changed drastically after I announced that I’m sick and that I might be taking some time off at the parents meeting. They started bringing me flowers for no reason and hugging me. :) Lucky for me, it all ended up pretty well. As you can see, I’m fine now and so are many people who were in this situation.