I would like to know if I am really need to take statins. My total cholestrol is 187, LDL 98, Hdl,74,triglcerides 73. My Dr. did an advanced cardiovasular risk markers test and I have Lp(a) of 41, KIF6 genotype 719 Arg/Arg, Fibrinogen 446. I also have a TSH level of 4.8. I do not take any medicine for my thyroid. Overall I feel very healthy. I'm 5'3 1/2" tall and weigh 120. I'm 63 years old and very active. I swim walk and do areobics. I don't feel the need to take statins. What is my risk if I don't take them? I'm also very allegic to antibiotics and I have some food allegies. I try to lead a very balanced life. I appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Betty Hyatt

Hi Betty! Nice talking to you. I think that you sound like you're doing really well but I think that if it has been suggested that you take statins that it would be a good idea to take them. Have you talked to a doctor about any of this? Are they giving you the brush off? Let me know how you're doing... Thanks!

I think your total and your LDL is a little higher than most doctors like to see, but that's the classic dispute that's going on right now. There is one faction that feels cholesterol isn't a causative factor in heart disease and recently another group calims that statins actually cause harm. So I'm watching to see what else they come up with.

I recently participated in a Pfizer drug study known as the Illuminate study. It was a double blind study where none of us was supposed to know the results, including the doctors who were administering it. They drew blood for the lab work and never knew what the numbers were. I used to tell them what they were because I go to the VA twice a year for blood work and they give me a copy (at my request) of the results. Within a month of starting that drug my LDL and HDL numbers reversed. Being male my HDL was 35 and my LDL was 93. It went to 75 and 34 in a month. I was thrilled with those numbers but alas they canceled the study because too many were dying.

You can Google it and find all kinds of information about it.

Wow njoyn that's really intense. I can't believe that ou had so many people in the study die. Did they say what the cause was? Was it the drug or was it just the nature of the studY?

H&FG

I don't know if they determined what the cause was. From what I've read in those articles you find by Googling it there were simply more people dying on the side that was taking it than on the side that was getting the placebo. I think they were dying of heart attacks or other things to which they were already at risk anyway so the deaths were considered natural causes. I found this article about it on WebMD. http://tiny.cc/aJXpw I don't know if our mentors will strip that or not but you can find it under Torcetrapib at WebMD.

Apparently they considered the difference in numbers dying between the two groups significant, and they stopped the test. The RNP from the doctors office called me at home and said "stop taking it".

It was free Lipitor for me and I had to go back to the VA and get generic Zocor as a replacement. The Zocor doesn't work nearly as well and I have to take 80mg as compared to 10mg of Lipitor.

None of us were officially supposed to know who was getting the drug or the placebo but the blood test I had done at the VA just a month after I started the study, had numbers that convinced me I was not getting the placebo.

I wish they could/would have figured out a risk factor for those who died, because it was so effective at changing the cholesterol. It nearly backrupted Pfizer because they had put billions into the R&D and this was the final study before bringing it to market. Lipitor is about to become generic and this was going to be their cash cow to replace it.

I got into my first Pfizer study right after my bypass surgery as my insurance that was paying for the Lipitor was about to run out. There was a want ad in the local paper looking for people who have had a heart attack but were otherwise healthy. I told my wife "they're lookin for me". That was a 7 year study to determine if people who took large doses of Lipitor, 80mg compared to 10mg, had any different affects, good or bad. They shortened it to four years when they weren't getting any conclusive results and I was looking for a new way to get free Statins.

It was being done by Dr McGowan's office at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, NH. They called me when they got this new study. They had moved to Concord hospital by then, after Dr McGowan had a difference of opinion with the director of CMC and left their center. You can Google Dr McGowan and cholesterol and get plenty of information on her.

Wow, that's intense! I was able to find a few things on google so thanks for all the information. I'm glad that you didn't get caught in the crossfire of the study and have any long-term effects. Thanks again for posting all that information.