I am 48, male, in good physical condition, 185 lbs 71” . My Cholesterol was 309 with triglycerides at 503, then I went on Zocor, one year later C was 356 T was 805, one year later (now) my C is 509 and my T is listed as 1000+. These were all fasting blood tests that I was very diligent for 8+ hours before the test. Nothing but water. The Doctor now wants to add to the Zocor, Gemfibrozil. I looked this combination up and the side effects are not pretty. Stomach pains, headaches, diarrhea, dizziness, muscle decay, etc. My parents both have high C. T is normal for them though. My sugar is not high, I drink lots of coke and eat lots of sweets. Would this be the cause for the high numbers? I really don’t like taking pills anyway, I don’t even remember to take my vitamins every day. I’ve tried changing my diet, it works for a little while, then my taste buds protest and I find myself back on my good taste diet. What are the real risks with numbers this high? Is there anything I can do to get off the Zocor, (I never took the Gemfrbrozil, that’s not a poison I want to put in my body,) that is not too radical a change of lifestyle?

Total cholesterol does not tell the whole story. There is the good HDL cholesterol and the bad LDL cholesterol. You need to know these numbers. It is possible that you are one of a small number of people who have very high levels of the good HDL cholesterol (200+) who are actually at much lower risk of cardiovascular disease than the average people with normal level of total cholesterol. If you don't have a family history of cardiovascular disease, and you have been healthy all your life, you really don't have anything to worry about. In answer to the second part of your question, yes, eating lots of sweets can raise your triglyceride level.