any advice on books or websites to check out?

my dr checked my blood last week and its really high. as in, i cant believe that i havent keeled over from a heart attack. :umno:

it runs in my family along with high blood pressure and heart disease so we did the blood work to see where i stand and to take some preventative action. in addition to the high cholesterol, the dr put me on bp meds as well (shes never gotten a reading below 130/90 on me) but a very low dose.

anyway, i realize what a huge deal this is, especially with me being as young as i am. i have 6 months to get it down and i need help! any reccommendations for info would be greatly appreciated!

Eating oatmeal frequently helps. Or just things that have a good amount of soluble fiber. Can anyone confirm this?

we followed dean ornish's program for years froggie, it was very strict at the time and i know it is a little more moderate now. unfortunately, our problem is one best addressed by meds and he still struggles to keep it under 180. diet alone will not effect a great enough change. we have eliminated all red meat, most dairy, all cheese of course, no processed c**p at all, really low sugar, no white flour stuff, and probably eat more salmon, oatmeal, and nuts than most people. there are so many good books out now, i really believe it's a lifestyle though; diet and exercise for life. good luck, hope you can move it downward on your own.

i beleive in the oatmeal plan myself, so far the only problem i have had cholesterol wise was to increase it, they told me to reduce my oatmeal when they found out how much i ate then.
i still use it to keep in at a resonalble level though. just don't tell my doctors. it's no where near as low as it used to be. :umno:

this is pretty much what my dr said. more fiber. in fact she really didnt mention anything else. she said that actually eating fiber is not much different than taking supplements...

Flax seed. :wiggle:

Cut down on fried food and saturated fats (cookies and processed snacks).

I went to a nutritionist last year and he recommended flax seed supplements as well for fat processing. Not specifically for cholesteral. Luckily my cholesteral is very good; but, for endurance and fat metabalism.

Flax seed. :wiggle:
where is this usually found in the grocery store. i looked for it breifly the other day, but couldnt find it...

Particle size without consideration of particle quantity is useless information when trying to account for cardiovascular risk because it actually shows a reduction in ApoB particles. Once accounted for quantity this number shows a positive change (meaning higher risk).

The arterial wall can be penetrated by ~60 nm objects and the particle sizes in reference we want over 21.2 nm. All of these particles can make it through arterial walls - once the numbers increase so does the chance of plaques developing from said arterial wall penetration.

Having said that, HDL and LDL particle size INCREASING alone is a positive direction.

• Total Cholesterol: 238 mg/dL.

• Triglycerides - 131 mg/dL is high. Ideally this is less than 70 mg/dL. Reducing carb intake will reduce this number over time. It may take at least 6 months to a year to get there but every body is different!

• HDL - 85 mg/dL. Over 70 mg/dL is optimal so this is a plus.

• VLDL - 26 mg/dL. Ideal range is 11-14 mg/dL. Expect this to also decrease once ketosis is in effect.

• LDL - 127 mg/dL. Correct given your triglyceride count. This number is meaningless for risk without knowing your LDL-P count, which you can get from an NMR profile from Liposcience.

• CHOL/HDL Ratio - 2.8. Less than 5 is good, lower the better.

• Trig/HDL Ratio - Less than 3 is good, under 1 optimal. 1.54. The ratio itself is good but is offset by HDL. We want trigs lower to decrease this ratio even further. :)

I find it near the produce in the natural food section. Ask someone if you don't find it.

Something else to check out is the cereal section. There are a lot of cereals out now adays that are high fiber (some up to 12g/ serving 8O )and low in sugars. I just picked up Uncle Sam's whole grain with Flaxseed. I put a little splenda on it.

i grabed some kashi go lean crunch (8g fiber) the other day. the fiber twgs just didnt look that appetizing. and my dr recommened starting easy on the fiber so my stomach doesnt revolt. ive only had one bowl of the kashi and i, um, can already see a difference, if you catch my drift... :umno:
but, for something that has so much fiber, its pretty tastey. i also grabed smart start, heart healthy. its only got 5g fiber, but thats still more that other cereals out there and its really good to.