Hello! I have a two years old daughter. She often has an ear infection and her doctor recommended tonsils removal. I really don’t know what to do. I know that tonsils are important part of our immune system and I am not sure if their removal will do well to my daughter. Her tonsils are not even enlarged. On the other hand, she received so many antibiotics and I am afraid of the side effects to her general health. Should we go ahead with removing the tonsils and even though they have not given her any problems? I can’t see the connection between tonsils and ear infection.

Hello! Tonsillectomy is performed because of airway obstruction, asymmetric enlargement of tonsil’s tissue or chronic infections. I haven’t heard that they are being removed due to ear infection. As I know, adenoids are usually removed due to chronic ear infection, but I think it is too early for this surgery in your case. Ear infections are most common in children till the age of two and they are less common as the child gets older. I think you should wait if her adenoids are also not enlarged. If the infection persists I think your daughter can benefit from tympanocentesis which is a simple procedure that includes puncturing the ear drum with a needle. This will relieve her pain and drain some of the fluid which can be tested to see what bacteria is causing problems, so the doctor can prescribe antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to. If she continues to get recurrent ear infections then she might benefit more from minor surgery to implant tubes that ventilate the middle ear.