Hello! My sister is twenty seven. She used to have recurrent throat infections, especially when she was a child. She hasn’t had a throat infection for a long period of time, but she has problems with bad breath and enlarged tonsils. Her doctor recommended surgery but I think she is too old for it. I think a surgery is effective in children when they suffer from persistent throat infections. What are pros and contras of adult tonsillectomy?

Hello! I think that your sister has to carefully balance benefits against the side effects of the surgery. The adults with recurrent sore throats may benefit from tonsillectomy in short term. But, longer term benefit is still unclear. The risk may be associated with anesthetic, dehydration, dental injures, bleeding or sepsis. Some doctors tell patients who had four episodes of tonsillitis in one year that they will probably have two or three days of sore throat in the next six months if they decide not to have the surgery. If they decide to have the surgery they are likely to have about two weeks of pain after surgery, and then probably a day of sore throat in the next six months.

After having strep throat almost continuously for a year straight my doctor recommended having my tonsils removed at age 19. The surgery went well and recovery was rather quick, about a week and a half of a very sore throat. I'm 48 now and haven't had a case of strep throat since. In fact i am rarely sick at all. If you are struggling with reoccurring throat infections I would highly consider having your tonsils removed, with the recommendation of your doctor's supervised care of course.