Hello! I have a five years old son. He is my first and only child and this is why I am maybe too much concerned for his health. He had few throat infections in last two years but our doctor said that throat infections were common in a child of his age. I think his tonsils are enlarged but, again, our doctor says there is no need to worry since they are completely normal. I noticed my child’s bad breath only during his sleep but I am afraid to talk to his doctor since he will probably say it is normal. Is this normal?

Hello! I think every mother wants her child to be healthy. Don’t be afraid to talk to your doctors about your concerns. Bad breath is common in children and it is often caused by bacteria in the mouth, nose or on the teeth. It can also be caused by allergies, recurrent cold or sinus infections. Your son is probably breathing through his mouth during his sleep which may be the result of enlarged adenoids. His mouth becomes dry and saliva can not perform its role of washing away bacteria in the mouth which can also lead to bad breath. Poor dentition is the most common cause of bad breath in children. Pay more attention to his oral hygiene. After-meal brushing should be a habit which lasts at least two minutes. Also, be sure he brushes his tongue as well. If the problem persists contact your doctor again.