I had my tonsillectomy in mid-November last year. The op. went well, although should have been a day case and I was kept in overnight as I hadn't eaten anything by 6pm! I was in the usual excruciating increasing pain for 10 days afterwards, which took about 3 weeks to settle down and return to eating normally.

But, I've been having ear problems ever since - my ears feel constantly bunged up (have never had sinus problems before), I developed vertigo for three weeks after having a cold (never had vertigo before). My ears are also extremely painful if they get cold - which makes it difficult to go to work as there's no heating there. For most of the last 4 months I've been struggling to go to work at all.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I've just been told to "give it time" (how much time?!) and that I was pretty run down as I'd had tonsillitis about twice a month for the two years before the op. so I was bound to be run down.

Hi - My daughter is 2 1/2 and will be going in for an op on the 4th september 08 to get her tonsils & adenoids removed, & also grommits put in her ears as she had alot of build up of fluid - causing her alot of discomfort. Your ears, nose & throat are all related as they all work together. Maybe it wouldnt hurt getting your adenoids & ears checked to make sure they are ok - it is usually something they should do at the same time they check out your tonsils. Just incase it is something that has occured post-op... it would be good if you are able to find a decent ENT (ear-nose-throat) specialist , if you already have one - it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion....they can always be helful!!

As for the 'right now' - have you tried rubbing a little vicks on the soft spot where your jaw ends just below your ear & also on the inside - not right in but just at the opening in your ear - it can help ( I have tried it!). Also when you are at home - put a small ball of cottonwool in your ears (as you would earplugs) to help keep them warm & keep out the cold.

I hope you do feel better soon & Remember to look after yourself!

Take Care :)

Take Care :-)

I too had a tonsilectomy 1.5 years ago. I never had vertigo before in my life until after my tonsils and adenoids were removed. I am almost entirely convinced that something happened during the surgery that shouldn't of. Now, I have vertigo often. The vertigo worsens with allergies and when I have a head cold. I am getting a second opinion from a different ENT. I am also consulting with a chiropractor because I heard that if our neck isn't properly placed during surgery then our cervix gets off balance which can result in vertigo. No ENT in the universe will admit they had a complication during the surgery. They are afraid of law suits. Hopefully, the chiropractor can help me. I'm so tired of having vertigo. It's extremely inconvenient.

when i saw daisies post i knew I was having the same problems. I am 2 months post op and sill have stinging in one spot near my ulva and my right ear is killing me...I am 40 years old and supposedly went to a good surgeon. daisies if your still out there...did your pain ever go away?

I had my tonsils removed at the age of 22, about 6 years ago. They were an extreme case. I get extreme, but temporary ear aches when I'm underwater, run, and they more sinus/swelling problems than before. The ENT I visited said it was a build up of scar tissue, and that it was also a bit of 'hack job'. My tonsils were also 4X the normal size, so it was again, an extreme case.